papertiger26

I have the buttons. I was just wondering what a reasonable charge would be for replacing them. One tailor near by said a $1 a button, which I thought was crazy. I may try the DIY approach, but would still like to know a fair value.

46L

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Seriously? If you think $1 a button is too much you really should bone up on your sewing skills.

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
<$1 button is a bargain. Do one youself, see how long it takes you and how satisfied with the result you are, then you can decide how much you're willing to pay someone else to relieve you of the task.

a tailor

Honors Member
learn from alexanders tutorial. once you learn, its yours for life.
get yourself a thimble [with a hole in the top], apackage of needles, and a spool of thread.
you now have a lifetime supply of equipment.

knezz

get yourself a thimble [with a hole in the top], apackage of needles, and a spool of thread.
Thimble... who need a thimble. In the tutorial they used no thimble.:icon_smile_wink:

I've sewn on buttons without a thimble multiple times.

Oh! I forgot... I drew blood multiple times.;)

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
I have the buttons. I was just wondering what a reasonable charge would be for replacing them. One tailor near by said a $1 a button, which I thought was crazy. I may try the DIY approach, but would still like to know a fair value.
$1 a button is a pretty good price. I believe my dry cleaner charges $3.

brettski

I also recommended you read the link and learn to sew you own. You will save money and have better results in the long run because you can make minor adjustments as you see fit. That being said $1 isn't too bad of a price.

NU81

United States
VA
Manassas
I'm a novice button sewer. What advantage does a thimble with a hole in the top provide? Is this type of thimble readily available for purchase?

You can buy timbels in sewing supply store.
Tailor supply store are usually better but harder to find.
Open timbels are used buy tailors,because most of the time they use shorter needels
and push with the side of their middle finger
Seamstresses use closed timbles because they push with the top of their finger.
That is a general rule
My Dad was a tailor and my mother a seemstess

Freddy Vandecasteele

Leighton

I just did one shirt using the principals and techniques espoused in the link Alex provided. Took me a damn long while. I think I'll pay someone to do it for me from now on... I just don't have that kind of time! And at $1.00 a button, even $1.50 or $2.00, its a freaking steal.

Gurdon

United States
California
Forestville
a tailor is right, DIY

I have sewn on buttons for several years. I gradually figured out most of the system outlined by Mr. Kabbaz, but I didn't know to finish it off without knots. Sewing on buttons is one of the few tailoring chores that can be easily mastered by someone lacking in sewing experience.

I also have hemmed trowsers and done other simple tasks.

Some of my sewing stuff belonged to my grandmother.

I am inspired by Mr Vandecasteele to search out a tailor supply store for a man's thimble. Sewing supply stores seem only to have small thimbles. The ones I had that belonged to various female ancestors were all too small; gave them to my daughter.

Does anyone know of a tailor supply business in Los Angeles?

Regards,
Gurdon