alphadelta

United States
co
commerce city
That's a nice looking bag. My only issue would be its weight. It looks like it would weigh more than what I would carry in it. Looking forward to your review after you receive it.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
That's a nice looking bag. My only issue would be its weight. It looks like it would weigh more than what I would carry in it. Looking forward to your review after you receive it.
Yes Sir,

That was an element that I did not take into consideration...:icon_scratch:

I think it will be alright. I could not pass it up for the price and made in USA.

I am really looking forward to it. :biggrin:

Bandit44

United States
NC
Charlotte
With a little less than a year's worth of mileage, my Customhide briefcase has held up well and is aging gracefully. Hope you have the same luck with yours.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
With a little less than a year's worth of mileage, my Customhide briefcase has held up well and is aging gracefully. Hope you have the same luck with yours.
Thank You Sir,

I was hoping you would say just that...it was your review that sparked my interest in this great little company. :)

It seems that they are a "Diamond in the Rough" almost too good to be true and yet it is true.

Almost every negative review that I read about actually was several years old. Tony the owner seems to be a stand up chap.

MRR

United States
New York
Batavia
That's quite a bit cheaper than I thought it would be.
My experience is that these are not the finest looking bags out there. Leather is flimsier than I had expected, leather thickness is inconsistent throughout the bag (including inconsistent throughout individual pieces). Brass hardware seems plated as opposed to the solid brass they claim. Front clasp comes undone by lifting the bag quickly.

But, it is still one hell of a bag for the money. I have no reason to think that I will ever have to replace mine. Well worth the cost.

red_shift

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Detroit Suburbs
I've been between Custom Hide and Frank Clegg for some time now. Both are US made and have good reputations but the Clegg's go for about 2x the Custom Hide options. For something I'm only going to buy once I'm almost set to grit it out and save up. Then double that again for my wife's bag :)

MRR

United States
New York
Batavia
Were money no object, I would have bought a bag from Walden Bags (Diplomat with extra gusset). Much better looking than Custom Hide, but I still think Custom Hide gives better value overall.

In looking at the site, Walden Bags is no longer a domestic company and shipping makes them prohibitively expensive.

Bandit44

United States
NC
Charlotte
I cannot comment on the longevity of the hardware, but it feels heavy duty and I've had no problems with the clasps. However, had I to do it over, I would have ordered simple buckles. It isn't a matter of if, but when the clasps will fail. Hopefully, not for a long time.

The leather quality of my bag is quite consistent, but mine was a custom order and I asked them to use the thickest leather they could source. It certainly doesn't compare to belting/bridle leather, but I'm confident it will last longer than I do. I concede that if you are willing to pay more money, you can get a nicer looking briefcase, but for me, the diminishing returns aren't worth it.

sskim3

United States
New York
New York City

BillyB

Oahu, Hawaii
United States
Hawaii
Honolulu
OP:

Spectacular bag. Congrats on the acquisition. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I have a few leather Brief Cases, with my favorite being from J.W. Hulme. Their Hand Made Leather Cases and Luggage are my favorite.

However, for the price you paid on that US Army Case, you could not touch a J.W. Hulme product. You did very well.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
^^^Cool bag.

Thanks Gentlemen for the comments. I am looking forward to getting the bag and will post more pics...