Different question; same chinos all of the time.

Oldsport

United States
New Jersey
Swedesboro
Do you have different makers/types of different chinos for different occasions? For example, say BB Advantage chinos for work and then a different type for after work and more casual situations.

denace_mennis

United States
Pennsylvania
Pottstown
Personally, I do. I’ll wear the J. Crew and PRL classic fit chinos with cuffs for more formal situations (church, advisor meetings, juries and concerts). They have a fuller (comparatively) rise and look nicer with cuffs and a crease. They usually get paired with an OCBD and a jacket. The wider leg also looks nice with PTBs and LWBs in addition to the Weejuns which look good with anything.

However, for more casual situations (class and hanging out with friends), I tend to wear the J. Crew straight fit. They unfortunately have a shorter rise but the slimmer leg allows me to blend in with my peers while still maintaining the classic style. In the fall/winter they get paired with an OCBD and a crew neck. In the spring/summer they get paired with an OCBD, polo, or popover.

If I had my way, I’d be wearing a full rise chinos with a narrow leg all the time. They have the slim leg which is the style I’m most comfortable with, but the full rise which looks much nicer with a jacket. However, they are just not obtainable within my budget.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
United States
Connecticut
Lakeville
Sure.

I have what I think of as "formal" chinos, meaning they have a crease and probably a cuff and I'll wear them with a jacket and tie and decent shoes. The LL Bean non-iron Double L and LL Bean so-called "dress" chinos are in this category, as well as assorted Bill's and other makers.

Then I have chinos that are rumpled, may or may not be cuffed (but mostly not). At the moment the vast majority of these are Lands End Knockabouts, because they come in whatever inseam you want.

Eventually my chinos devolve to the coveted "fish pants" status. This is exactly what you think it is.

TimF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York City
If I had my way, I’d be wearing a full rise chinos with a narrow leg all the time. They have the slim leg which is the style I’m most comfortable with, but the full rise which looks much nicer with a jacket. However, they are just not obtainable within my budget.

Dennis

Try Uniqlo Regular Fit chinos, they are all cotton. Decent fabric, decent sewing, decent price. They have a good rise with slim legs, way too slim for my comfort anyways.

Last edited:

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
My chinos are all Orvis ultimate khakis. For a more dressed up look I iron them. They are a mix of khaki and field khaki. I was going to get olive, too, but Orvis no longer offers them. So I’m thinking of a pair of green sail cloth pants from Murray’s Toggery, basically Nantucket reds in a different color. As regards cuffs, they all are cuffed at 1 3/4”.

fishertw

United States
North Carolina
Boone
I wear Bills Bullard Field pants in the winter and Orvis ultimate khakis in spring, summer,fall. All are either khaki or British Khaki in color. BK is a bit darker.

katch

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York
I have a pair of hertling khakis (with crease) via ebay that I HIGHLY recommend.

denace_mennis

United States
Pennsylvania
Pottstown
Try Uniqlo Regular Fit chinos, they are all cotton. Decent fabric, decent sewing, decent price. They have a good rise with slim legs, way too slim for my comfort anyways.
Thanks. I’ve been thinking about them. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet as they haven’t seemed to have my size in stock any time I looked.

Last edited: