bigCat

Honors Member
United States
New Hampshire
Hampton
I was browsing some offerings at a local Polo outlet store. I noticed that some of she shirts and jackets were sized in general sizes (S, M, L, XL). They carried the same blue label as regular store items. The items like these normally sell in mesured sizes: neck, sleeve, chest.

Are these items produced for the outlet specifically, or are they leftovers from regular stores? I was under impression that all blue label items were regular store items, but I may be wrong.

kitonbrioni

Honors Member
My experience with RL Polo outlets has been that most of it was unique to the outlet. I stopped checking the outlet awhile back so I don't know the current stock.

DocHolliday

Honors Member
I can't say with certainty whether any of the clothes are made for the outlets, but I've seen the S, M, L sizing elsewhere as well.

ranchsooner

I was browsing some offerings at a local Polo outlet store. I noticed that some of she shirts and jackets were sized in general sizes (S, M, L, XL). They carried the same blue label as regular store items. The items like these normally sell in mesured sizes: neck, sleeve, chest.

Are these items produced for the outlet specifically, or are they leftovers from regular stores? I was under impression that all blue label items were regular store items, but I may be wrong.

There is nothing that is made specifically for the outlets like Brooks Brothers does. Some of the merchandise does skip a distribution channel though. Currently, there are some pieces in the kids, womens, and home departments that can be found in retail stores right now. I have been told that all the stuff in the mens department is leftover from previous seasons. There are a few stores that carry PSR merchandise, which are items that are leftover from the Polo retail stores. This can be anywhere from PL suits, shirts, etc, Blue Label suits, pants, etc, to Polo knit shirts or dress shirts made in Hong Kong. It seems that most of the PSR is priced significantly lower than the other "cheaper" stuff.

jamgood

Advanced Member
I beg to differ. The first Polo Factory Store was beside the Polo Tailored Clothing building in Mass. where PRL suits/sport coats were made from 1974 until the early 90's. (It was Lanham clothing until PRL acquired it in '77). It was strickly overstocks and end-of-season stock from the PRL retail stores. That was in the 80's. Prior to the outlet stores, PRL unloaded such stock on "jobbers" who resold it to various off price stores. The Factory Store was surprizingly successful. Now there are about 130 Factory Stores worldwide. 130 stores cannot be stocked by overstock and end of season merchandise. On the men's side, most of the sportswear is made specifically for the outlets using the same makers, and sometimes previous years fabrics and/or styles. At one time the factory store Polo labels had a dot woven in gold thread on the label to discourage attempted returns to retail stores. Now I suspect the UPC code on price tags prohibits return for full retail, no matter the printed price. A couple of years ago Maxx/Marshalls had a variety of PRL sport shirts, and varying prices on the PRL tag, all with the same inventory number on the PRL price tag: 012456789. Once PRL fills its seasonal committments to the PRL Stores and retail merchants, the excess may find its way to the PRL Factory store in the current season. PRL grosses billions a year, and what might be a small % amount of excess to PRL is still a significant amount of clothing to disperse. And if something does not sell well in an RL store, it is sometimes removed from the floor and finds a home elsewhere. Several years ago Polo University suits and sport coats became factory store brands. PRL has had problems with its green label Lauren licensees, and the green label Lauren may now be a factory store suit/sport coat label, I dunno. PSRs are end of season stock strickly from the Ralph Lauren stores, and may include store returns. Often the retail price tags are torn or missing the price below the perffed price tag. PSR pricing is inconsistent. The same PSR items may have different Factory Store discounted prices, often substantially different. I think PRL may have a policy of sending non-damaged returns to the distribution center, and thence to a Factory store. Not all factory stores receive PSRs. PRL now makes dress shirts in neck sizes with average sleeve lengths, specific sleeve lengths are becoming rarer. RLPL dress shirts do not have specific sleeve lengths. Non chest sized Polo sport coats are the more casual coats, not fully tailored, and are priced lower at retail. If you check, most are made in developing countries, some in Italy. All the tailored sport coats are made in Italy by Corneliani. If a sport coat retails for less than perhaps $850, it's not fully tailored Corneliani, which has a chest size and S,R or L length.

What are paragraphs?

And now that i've attempted an informative post, it's time to be impish.......

Last edited:

jkreusc

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I haven't confirmed or denied, but my Brother in Law says that the color of the polo embroidery is different in the outlet. IE, you might see a black pique polo with a maroon embroidery at the outlet vs a black pique with a red embroidery.

Thome Loire

I think most of the Lauren label is outlook specific with some turning up as in mall dept. stores for people who want a suit with Ralph Lauren's name on it.

I do see a lot of blue label that I can't find any really difference with, usually khakis, polos and other sportswear to what they sell at actual Polo Stores. Shoes are most definitely outlet specific or at least a lower line than Blue Label, with I'd guess an occassional exception.

Every once in a while a purple label item will turn up though its few and far between.

Its certainly possible that the shirts, jackets you saw were from some diffusion line, though at times retailers do seem to do this (J. Crew's blazers were done this way for a while, as well as others). Not really sure of the reasoning but Mr. Lauren could have simply gone that route especially if the jacket / shirts were more of the casual / sportswear look than a more tailored look.

Hope this was somewhat informative.

ranchsooner

Hey, I was just passing along info a store manager had told me. Sounds like he was only partially correct, making me only partially correct.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts