Elevating Leftovers

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
The other day a post on Red Meat prompted me to discuss a dish made of leftovers. Today at lunch I made a sandwich that I really enjoyed, and it got me to thinking that good use of leftovers is a worthy topic. We often have a turkey sandwich for lunch, but today it had several tasty twists. I had a small bit of a loaf of homemade buttermilk and honey white bread. I made a sauce of the last bit of leftover tartar sauce (mayonnaise, capers, pickle relish, and lemon juice) and the last bit of curry ketchup (ketchup, Maille Dijon, and curry powder) and spread the bread. I added a slice of Swiss, the last bit of a vinegar slaw (cabbage, red bell peppers, and red onions tossed in EVOO, cider vinegar, a little sugar, and a little Cholula), and some mesquite smoked turkey. I lightly buttered the outsides and put the sandwiches on the ridged griddle under a bacon press. The effect was vaguely reminiscent of a Reuben. I look forward to hearing of your successes (and noble attempts) to convert leftovers into things even more tasty!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Very creative. Add four to six ozs. of corned beef to the recipe you shared in the post above and your sandwich would have tasted a whole lot like a Reuben. Inspirational...my friend, you have set my mind to work. On our next rip to the Base Commissary I'm going to have to pick up some shaved corned beef from the Deli counter!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
One of the best sandwiches I ever concocted was laid on a sourdough roll slathered with aioli that was then covered in left-over pot roast and slices of kosher dill pickle. It was so good that I started cooking pot roast somewhat regularly just to have the leftovers!

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Not exactly leftovers but a new thread called “hodgepodge” sounded excessive.

Rainy day lunch. SWMBO combined a can of Bush Southern style white beans and a can of Cento peeled tomatoes to which she added minced onion, bacon bits, a bit of sour cream, and some Herdez salsa casera. Delicious. Served with a flour tortilla.

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Sounds good.
I'll bet that would even work as a sunny evening early dinner! ;)

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Leftover taco meat (from tacos) and leftover cream cheese (from cream cheese and pears). Stuff cream cheese and meat into poblanos, top with Herdez salsa casera (medium), bake until pepper softens. Top with a drizzle of Herdez guacamole salsa. Serve with cheating street corn (corn slathered with a mix of mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime and grilled), and a can of store brand (HEB) borracho beans.

Tod Hackett

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Have various bits and pieces of cold, cooked meat haunting your fridge that you are sick to death of looking at?

Try this Swedish Classic:

Pytt I Panna

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=554088

I tend to skip the eggs and to stir in a little heavy cream and thyme/rosemary/marjoram/caraway at the end.

De-glazing the fond with a little brandy and/or A1/HP/57/Worcester is another alternative.

Both my grandmothers - who survived the war and its aftermath - always said if you have potatoes, onions, cabbage, and even the tiniest scrap of meat, you have a meal...

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
I tend to agree with your grandmothers but would substitute pasta for the potatoes. Anyway, tonight I grilled a 'giant pork chop' with pork belly and the leftovers will go into tomorrow's soup along with leftover white limas and japanese edible chrysanthemums. I'll probably toss in the other half of a kielbasa and a bunch of onions and carrots--and of course dry sherry.

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
We had a cookout, celebrating Memorial Day, and egad, everyone seems to be on a diet. Consequently we have a cr*pload of leftover (already cooked) hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, etc. Now, just what in the hell's kitchen can I make with that? LOL. :confused: