Winhes2

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
MB
winnipeg
In another thread members suggested pairing a light blue pinpoint shirt with some darker brown sport coats.

The idea hadn't occurred to me. So, I took a closer look at a Donegal I'd bought at a thrift store last year because I had not recalled seeing Donegal tweed before that day.

The jacket:

donegjacket.jpg

A closer look reveals many colors:

donegjacketcloser.jpg

An even closer look reveals light blue, a green, and a yellow cream:

donegjacketclosest.jpg

Continued in next post.

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
Ecru shirt and rust or burnt orange tie were suggested for the jackets and I'm sure will be excellent when they arrive. But I thought I would explore the light blue shirt idea.

Seeing the light blue in the brown jacket along with the navy, green, I went through my closet to explore the possibilities. Here are some with the suggested light blue pinpoint shirt. I think they work, but would appreciate the more experienced and talented eyes of members to guide me away from ones, or possibly all, if they don't work.

With green tie:

doneglbgreen.jpg

With green tie and brown crewneck:

doneglbgbrown.jpg

with green tie and navy cardigan:

doneglightbluegreennavy.jpg

doneglbgnclose.jpg

Continued in next reply

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
Having considered the light blue shirt, I took another look at a cream textured shirt I bought last year to wear with the Donegal. I had set it aside because it seemed to stand out from the jacket. However, now I'm thinking that it isn't much different in tone than the light blue. Also, the jacket's orange is brighter than the shirt's tone and there is a cream fleck in the jacket. So, here are some things in my closet with the cream shirt. Should I wear the shirt or retire it?

With a light blue wool tie containing other colors:

donegclightblue.jpg

Same with the brown crewneck:

donegclightbluebrwn.jpg

Here is a tie I don't like with the jacket because of the black in the tie:

donegcparots.jpg

But I think it might be able to be worn if most of it is covered by this green sweater which references the green in the tie:

donegcparotsgreen.jpg

Bear with me, a few more combinations follow in my next replies.

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
The cream shirt with the green tie and brown crewneck:

donegcgbrown.jpg

Cream shirt, green tie and navy cardigan:

donegcgrnnavy.jpg

closer to show the navy in the jacket:

donegcgrnnavyclose.jpg

Final set of pictures is in my next reply:

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
Cream shirt, navy TGIF emblematic (If the TGIF emblems don't work, I can replace with a solid navy tie):

donegcnavy.jpg

Same with light blue crewneck:

donegcnavyblue.jpg

Finally, I have this old tattered tattersall of light blue, white, and brown. The browns in the shirt, tie, and jacket are not exact, but perhaps mixing three browns works as an intended look or accepted imperfection better than would only the tie and jacket together.

donegtatbrwn.jpg

Comments, criticisms, and warnings welcome.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
I may have interrupted the flow. (Edit: I didn't, you finished your pics while I was picking my way through this on my itty bitty Betty Crocker cell. But you did post a patterned shirt, fine unaddressed below.)

I look forward to your threads, no less this one. My pairing method is called hap hazzard, so you were just warned. With one exception, everything you're showing appears to almost effortlessly blend. Good on that. The key with your selections is their complete lack of pattern. (Donegal, the spilled confetti of cloth, is not really a pattern.) Your differences lie in textures and cloth, the sweaters appear cotton. The colors do not jar, in themselves or in intensity.

The exception. Lose the tie with the little skulls (?)* Something you got at the souvenir shop when you visited an ossuary? In the main, I think you do the Donegal high justice with all you've chosen to brother it.

*Sarge informs me they're parrots. Betty Crocker done me wrong again.

Last edited:

London380sl

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Those are parrots not skulls though I can see how you could make that error on a tiny cell phone screen.

I'll agree with everyone else and thumbs down to the parrot tie though it might work under better lighting conditions but you have better choices shown.

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
OK. Thank you gentlemen. I'll tuck away that parrot head tie but keep it in case Jimmy Buffet plays Winnipeg.

@Peak and Pine you have assessed me correctly. Usually a plain, plain, fancy guy to avoid errors other than being boring. Although, that doesn't mean I don't like patterns. Those ties you sent to Adriel are lovely.

Regarding texture I may (i havent considered all the combinations i usually wear to confirm my application of this rule) employ a fuzzy with fuzzy and smooth with smooth rule. Everything shown above is fuzzy with fuzzy. Sometimes I'll break the rule. For example, hopsack jacket, broadcloth shirt, linen tie. I suppose that when I break the rule such as there it is along the lines of avoiding fancy next to fancy but welcoming plain next to plain. I'd consider the hopsack as fuzzier than the broadcloth shirt and linen tie. With seersucker (fuzzy) I'll go with smooth shirt and tie fabric. Although I have gone fuzzy next to fuzzy and worn a softer fuzzier white arrow shirt with seersucker, linen and hopsack jackets.

Also, the tattersall shirt is a broadcloth, so it isn't fuzzy. The Donegal is a tweed so I think it would be considered fuzzy although this one is smoother to the touch than Harris tweed.

Thinking about this now, I'll wear a sweater with a broadcloth shirt and smooth wool trousers, but I think I'll have to reconsider so doing.

At this stage of my sartorial evolution it may be more accurate to label the fuzzy with fuzzy and smooth with smooth idea a consideration rather than a rule.

Last edited:

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
With the exception of the parrot tie ( :pic12337: ) I think they all work well. And now you understand my delight in Donegal!
I bought my first donegal article last year (brown trousers), and it pairs with just about everything in my closet with all the colors present. I can see how a jacket would be super versatile as well, although I have a hard time deciding between Harris Tweed and Donegal jackets!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts