drpeter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
I posted the following as a conversation, but I am uncertain if it will be seen generally by members of this forum. So I am reposting it here as a thread. My apologies for any inconvenience.

I was in my university's library this afternoon searching for some journals, when I chanced upon some bound volumes labelled Esquire. The library actually has all of the issues of Esquire magazine starting with Volume 1, Number 1 from 1933. I borrowed the first two volumes (quite heavy) to keep for a bit, so that I can look through them at leisure. As you may know, this publication featured Laurence Fellows' wonderful, iconic drawings of gentlemen in classic suits, sport coats and odd trousers. So this evening will be spent perusing the pages of this great magazine, and enjoying the art of Mr Fellows.

I had often felt that someone should publish all of these drawings as a collection -- they would make a very handsome volume for aficionados of classic style. Well, there is a book with many of Fellows' and other artists' illustrations: It is on Amazon and called Men in Style: The Golden Age of Fashion from Esquire. And it has been discussed here on the forum.

Last edited:

127.72 MHz

Advanced Member
United States
Oregon
Portland
I would love to browse through what you have found.

A shame you can't post a few examples.

Last edited:

drpeter

United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
I would love to browse through what you have found.

A shame you can't post a few examples.
The first issue (no. 1 vol.1) had an article on marlin fishing in Cuba by Ernest Hemingway and a short story by Dashiell Hammett, and a couple of lovely Fellows illustrations among other things. Yes, it is sad that I can't post anything -- I have no way of copying anything from such a large magazine with a page size of 14" x 10". I don't even possess a scanner! On the other hand, the Men in Style book can be downloaded free of charge. I think one location is in the thread below called Esquire:Men in Style. Another from which I just downloaded the whole book is here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/meninstylegolden00hochrich#page/n1/mode/2up

If you place your cursor on the top right where the button says ePub/pdf and click on pdf in the drop-down window options, you will have a downloaded book in pdf format. Looks splendid on my largish 24" Dell Ultra monitor. Happy Reading.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I've been reading the book on line - and posting about it in the thread you mentioned - but what you have is much better - the original source material.

The short stories sound fantastic - pre TV, it's amazing how much more people read. Makes sense, but just amazing that short stories were so popular.

gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
The short stories sound fantastic - pre TV, it's amazing how much more people read. Makes sense, but just amazing that short stories were so popular.
To your point, there was a time when writers could actually make a good living writing for magazines.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
To your point, there was a time when writers could actually make a good living writing for magazines.
I used to make a decent amount of money on the side writing for financial publications until the internet came along. Probably, just how short story writers felt when TV took their audience. What is a amazing is how many people will write - smart, senior industry people will write long, engaging pieces, at least in the financial field - for free on the web.

drpeter

United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
I've been reading the book on line - and posting about it in the thread you mentioned - but what you have is much better - the original source material.

I grew up in societies in the fifties and sixties (British Malaya, then India) where there was no television and just a single radio station run by the government. We had newspapers, magazines, and of course libraries filled with books. My first library was the USIS library which I joined at 11. I read a lot of American fiction and poetry, and learned a lot about the history and culture of the country that I later came to love and then become a citizen of. But in the old days, people read, talked about books, wrote things themselves. It was much better than watching TV, I think, although that medium has its merits.

One thing that amazed me about the Esquire magazine is how small the fonts were. They filled the large pages in multiple columns. And the cartoons were mostly in colour and quite large -- each cartoon took up an entire page. The adverts were also fascinating -- for Talon zippers, for cigarette lighters, and one for something called a Pakutter -- a device that neatly cut open a pack of cigarettes so that there was no mess!