Cardinals5

Honors Member
United States
SC
Greenville
I picked these up for a song on eBay this morning assuming that they're shell, but the maker, Lotus, is rather obscure (not know for making shell). I decided to take a chance since the depth of color around the toe seems to indicate shell - if they're not shell at least I'm not out much.

What does the forum think - shell or not shell?

Any hints on how to repair/stop the cracking on the side of the toe in the third picture?

Lotus (Made in England) Burgundy PTBs

AAF-8AF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Maryland
Rockville
I say shell based upon: creasing, color, splotchy patterns under translucent finish, and lack of evident grain or pore structure. Can't help with the cracking, but some conditioner might be good if it's getting dry.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
United States
Connecticut
Lakeville
This gives new meaning to the term "shell game."

Ahahahahaha

Looks like shell to me, based on creasing.

127.72 MHz

Advanced Member
United States
Oregon
Portland
My guess is shell too. I've seen old shoes with years of polish on them, not to imply they've been abused, look almost like shell.

To me the only definitive give away is the heavy creasing indicative of the horsey.

Last edited:

WindsorNot

Lucky. I was watching those as well. My guess was not shell due to the look of the leather. The creasing indicates shell, but the leather does not have the dense look of shell. Please let us know, as I was curious myself.

Cardinals5

Honors Member
United States
SC
Greenville
Thanks fellows for confirming my suspicion that these are shell.

Any recommendations for conditioners for shell that have become dry? I have a couple of pairs of shells that are 20-30 years old and probably need some conditioner, but I've been afraid of ruining the finish by using conditioners made for calf. I've just maintained them using the MacMethod.

I've read recommendations for AE's shell cordovan cream, but no one mentioned whether this will work for dried out shell.

Cardinals5

Honors Member
United States
SC
Greenville
Lucky. I was watching those as well. My guess was not shell due to the look of the leather. The creasing indicates shell, but the leather does not have the dense look of shell. Please let us know, as I was curious myself.
Will do WindsorNot - my first instinct was the same as yours (not shell) and probably just abused old calf, but the depth of color on the toes and the speckled effect, which I also have on my shell longwings, along with the full leather heels convinced me to buy them on a whim. I'll update the thread (with pics) when I receive the shoes.

With my luck they'll be shell, but the 8.5 size will be British sizing :icon_pale:

srivats

United States
OR - Oregon
Portland
Definitely shell. Needs plenty of TLC to get it back to glory (if it is not dried out from the inside).

Last edited: