Exception to 2-inch-max pant waist tailoring?

bcw5g

Starting Member
Hi, I've found several similar threads, but I'm not sure any answer my particular question. For background, I am a 42L with a 33 inch waist, but with fairly thick legs and butt that have required me to buy pants with 34-35 inch waists (to give me enough room in the legs and seat) and then have them taken in. In short, I have a lot of suit separates and I hate "slim fit" pants. The consensus seems to be that 2 inches is about the most one would want to reduce a pant's waistline before throwing off the drape and merging the back pockets, but does this still hold for a person with a larger rear? I can visualize that the " V " taken out of the back seam might not extend as far down the pant for someone with a larger butt as it might for someone with a smaller one, but would this be enough to permit me to remove a third inch from the waistline (and allow me to buy suits off the rack)? Thanks for the help!

DJD1

Starting Member
You could take in just the waist, although you 'd be a perfect candidate for MTM since you could then just order you jacket size and then a slack cut that would accommodate the legs. If you really had to buy off the rack then you should go for a suit that isn't slim fit, like the Hickey Freeman Addison or maybe a Canali and then just tailor down the jacket and waist of the pant.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Yes, it can be done if the seat fits well already. The problem I find is that sometimes the tailor takes in the waistband on an angle, so when you use a belt it ends up looking really sloppy, so watch out for that. The best solution for a small waist and large seat is to cut the trouser with two darts on each side rather than one.

L-feld

Advanced Member
United States
Maryland
Baltimore
Leave the extra inch in the waist and have suspender buttons sewn into the pants.