Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
Good Morning All,

I recently bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds, which also happens to be my first pair of leather-soled shoes. I have only worn them about ten times and am liking the way they are breaking in, but am concerned about the sole wear on the toe (please see attached picture). Is this normal? Should I get toe caps? Talk to AE customer service? Given the cost of resoling, I don't want to wear through these too quickly and need to figure out a course of action before things get too worn down.

Attachments

Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
I work in an office complex, but have to walk between buildings a few times every day. Some of the pavement around here is indeed a bit rough, bit I wouldn't call it "Rocky".

I did one day find myself in an unavoidable parenting situation of having to push a stroller around the block on rougher pavement. Perhaps I dragged my toes a bit?

Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
They're shoes - you should be able to walk around in them in the real world.

That doesn't look like excessive wear to me, but :
1. It would be much better to have two pairs and alternate them if you can swing it, and,
2. You can have topys put on them if sole longevity is a major concern.

Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
Thank you for the answers so far.

Do you folks recommend rubber half soles? I have been told that AE will not service shoes that have been worked on elsewhere. Would the half soles or toe cops prevent me from using AE's services?

Also, I do plan on building a better rotation. These shoes have seen frequent use since my shoe collection is small and I have been eager to break these in.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Inset metal toe taps would be a good solution. Nylon toe taps, surface mounted, would work, but they (the toe taps) do wear down rather quickly.

CLTesquire

United States
NC
Waxhaw
There are several other places that recraft shoes in an equivalent or superior manner to AE. B. Nelson comes to mind. FWIW the one time I sent a pair of AE's for recrafting the upper detached from the sole soon after and the shoes had to be replaced. They aren't the authority on shoe recrafting by any means.

So...put some topy's on those shoes and they'll fair a lot better.