SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
They are shoes and they’re meant to be worn. However, I’ve never had such wear on a new pair of shoes after only 10 outings. Those look pretty abused.

Its always a good idea to rotate shoes as well as making sure you take care of them when not worn.

The wear I see is normal, but somewhat premature in my opinion. Others may disagree and I’m speaking of course from only my experience.

I’m not sure this is a defect however. Applying a topy would help. Also trying to walk without dragging your toes.

And what’s with the mustard stain?

Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
I was trying to identify that myself! It was rather hard and did not want to scratch off.

I wouldn't consider the amount of walking I do to be out of the ordinary. I imagine any white collar city dweller would get as much distance in them as I do on the sidewalks any day.

I am just going to chalk this up to the rougher asphalt (which of course sometimes contains loose pebbles) that I have to walk over between sidewalks. The site where I work doesn't have nearly enough sidewalks available, but that is a different problem...

Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
Also, any tips for caring for them when not being worn that would affect the soles? I always store them with shoe trees and in their cotton bag.

CLTesquire

United States
NC
Waxhaw
Nothing more you can really do for the sole.

Just brush them somewhat regularly and condition and polish as needed and you will be good to go.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Also, any tips for caring for them when not being worn that would affect the soles? I always store them with shoe trees and in their cotton bag.
you can apply a sole conditioning cream to keep the leather from cracking or drying out prematurely.

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
Have sole guards put on and replace as necessary. b. Nelson does it for $40, I'm sure someone local to you would be comparable or even less in pricing.

Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
Well, in case anyone is interested, I ended up sending the shoes to Potter and Sons. I decided after talking to Heath over the phone to get both the Lulu toe caps and the Topy sole protectors.

I think they did great work and I'm sure this will solve my toe wear problem. Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

Nemo Clericus

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Pooler
Well, in case anyone is interested, I ended up sending the shoes to Potter and Sons. I decided after talking to Heath over the phone to get both the Lulu toe caps and the Topy sole protectors.

I think they did great work and I'm sure this will solve my toe wear problem. Thanks for all the advice.

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Looks good. I gleaned advice from this thread right along with you and just had the same done (sole protectors) at a local shoe repair shop.