Eye color.

Discussion in 'The Interchange' started by Flanderian, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Like most of the world, I have brown eyes. But as I remember various people I've known in my life, I am struck by how apparently rare this woman's eye color was, to the extent that I've never met, or even seen, anyone else who has had it. And as this was over 58 years ago, I believe it was well before the advent of colored contacts.

She was my teacher, and then a very attractive, petite 23 year old. (Yes, all of we teenaged boys behaved exactly like teenage boys in regard to her good looks.) Viewed casually, her eyes appeared to be a very light blue. And as she was young and seemingly healthy, they were clear and bright. But if you regarded her more carefully, you noted they were somehow different. And what was different was their color. Rather than the pale light blue they first seemed, they were actually a pale, delicate shade of lilac. And this was not the product of blood shot eyes, as the whites were always clear of any redness.

My investigation has shown that there are people with purple eyes, and fewer even with violet or lilac, but I am unable to find any image of someone with the pale, delicate shade of lilac that this woman possessed. Her coloring otherwise was moderately fair skin, and medium dark brown hair. And, no, she was neither an albino or alien! :D

Has anyone else encountered this eye color? Or otherwise have any insight into it's rarity and in what population it may occur?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I believe it was the late Elizabeth Taylor, who the pundits credited with having violet hued eyes and she was certainly around well before colored contacts. Beyond that, I can't say I've made the acquaintance of anyone with lilac/violet hued eyes. :(

3. derum

derum Suspended

United States
    T
    Houston
    I dated a girl who had beautiful blue eyes, but was totally weird. Coincidence?

A friend sent me this: ‘This might be disappointing for some, but true violet or red-colored eyes do not occur naturally in humans. Some eyes, however, can appear to be violet under certain lighting or makeup conditions.

Elizabeth Taylor is famous for her violet eyes, though in reality she just has very blue eyes that can look violet depending on the lighting. She does, however, have a row of double eyelashes, a rare genetic mutation.’

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    I had a student once who had emerald green eyes but that's as odd as I've ever seen.

5. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    I've seen a lot of striking eye colors in Africa and the Middle East - shocking greens, ambers, etc. No "purples", though. I do think it may have been an artifact of lighting.

My eyes can run a gamut, for example, depending on lighting and/or colors I wear. My eyes are *blue*, but they have gold "spokes" - so they can look green. If the lighting interferes with the gold, they can look grey.

So over the years I've been described as having blue, green, AND grey eyes. I should be a spy.

Offhand, I suspect "violet" or "lilac" eyes are manifested in much the same way as "red eye" in a photograph - the eye's retinal venation is visible through a pale blue iris under certain lighting conditions, so everything combines into a purplish hue.

DH

6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    A search of people with the eye color I recall has yielded very little. It's more common to see either purple or violet eye color than pale lilac. Doubtless some of what is shown is enhanced in some form or other, and some isn't.

In reading about this topic, I've read both that this eye color can be the result of incomplete albinism, or that it is the result of blood vessels within the iris of blue colored eyes that can lend some bit of red to the blue of the iris creating the lilac, violet, etc.

This one photo, which doesn't look touched up to me, comes closest to matching what I recall. At first, the woman's eyes appear simply blue, but studied more closely, I must describe them as pale lilac.

upload_2019-4-16_0-36-56.png

And interestingly, the rest of her coloring happens also to have similarities.

Clintotron likes this.
  7. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Looking at eyes on the internet for a decade or two some people have amazing eyes.
    When I look in the mirror at my eyes, they are so boring.

8. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    But they work so don't complain too loudly. I just had laser surgery on one of mine.

cosmotoast and WA like this.
  9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    How're you doin'?

10. ran23

ran23 Senior Member

United States
    Oregon
    Medford
    I have brown eyes and just turned 65. Back in my youth, some ladies said they turned green. Even happen to you guys?