• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
In anticipation of receiving my bottle of Safari Hot Sauce (Created by our very own @Oldsarge), I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone's favorite hot sauce is.

1564535443656.png

I am not a fan of vinegar, and pretty much loathe any condiment, sauce, dressing, or food that contains it.

Of course if the content is small enough to be largely undetectable, or the other ingredients are strong enough to overpower the vinegar, I can just as easily enjoy it. Barbecue sauce is a good example of a sauce that I very much enjoy, because other ingredients are more dominant.

As for hot sauces, I pretty much avoid them altogether, because most of them that I've come across are made with vinegar. My wife on the other hand, loves them.

Safari Hot Sauce is @Oldsarge's perfected version of an African-style 'piri-piri' sauce, and uses coconut milk as a base instead of vinegar.

For that reason, I am very excited to try it out. Plus, I'm really excited to support @Oldsarge!

Also, if you know of any other hot sauces that don't contain vinegar, please let me know about them. I'd love to try them out as well.

What's your favorite hot sauce?

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Crystal is my default hot sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Hot_Sauce

Of course, I also liberally season my bean soup with the cheapest red-wine vinegar imaginable so what do I know?

@Oldsarge

Ordering it from Amazon right now.

Any suggestions re what should I "pair" Safari Hot Sauce with?
I don't recommend it on red meat. However, it's a killer on seafood, chicken, eggs and avocado toast. And used as a marinade for an hour before tossing a chicken on the grill? Whoa, baby!

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
I'm a "mild" kind of guy! :hi: Maybe it's because I still have my taste buds! :happy:

But I've got to say that Oldsarge's sauce is so hot that it’s named in the Congressional Report on Global warming as a possible cause!

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I have several that I use regularly and differently.

My absolute favorite is Melinda’s Naga Jolokia. It is essential on fried eggs in this kitchen.

A few squirts of Sriracha is a natural in Mornay when making Mac (or, in my case, orecchiette) and cheese.

Cholula is a good all purpose sauce.

Mina Spicy Harissa wakes up avocado toast big time.

BTW, if you stumble into Melinda’s products, her habanero catchup rocks tater tots. Her habanero, oddly, is not as zippy as her jalapeño, and it has the added benefit of the taste of habanero, sweeter and less vegetal than jalapeño.

In the yard, my chiltepins are starting to ripen. They are superb for a home made salsa and pretty tasty right off the bush but pretty hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
In anticipation of receiving my bottle of Safari Hot Sauce (Created by our very own @Oldsarge), I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone's favorite hot sauce is.

View attachment 33124

I am not a fan of vinegar, and pretty much loathe any condiment, sauce, dressing, or food that contains it.

Of course if the content is small enough to be largely undetectable, or the other ingredients are strong enough to overpower the vinegar, I can just as easily enjoy it. Barbecue sauce is a good example of a sauce that I very much enjoy, because other ingredients are more dominant.

As for hot sauces, I pretty much avoid them altogether, because most of them that I've come across are made with vinegar. My wife on the other hand, loves them.

Safari Hot Sauce is @Oldsarge's perfected version of an African-style 'piri-piri' sauce, and uses coconut milk as a base instead of vinegar.

For that reason, I am very excited to try it out. Plus, I'm really excited to support @Oldsarge!

Also, if you know of any other hot sauces that don't contain vinegar, please let me know about them. I'd love to try them out as well.

What's your favorite hot sauce?
Are you ok with lime instead of vinegar?

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts