Cantaloop

Starting Member
India
Telangana
Hyderabad
Are there any hot sauces with low sodium out there, perhaps at a supermarket?
There is Dave's Gourmet Passionfruit Hot Sauce. It is a little more fruity though. It says 0mg sodium on the bottle, but according to the FDA anything that has less than 5mg can be rounded of to 0mg.

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
There is Dave's Gourmet Passionfruit Hot Sauce. It is a little more fruity though. It says 0mg sodium on the bottle, but according to the FDA anything that has less than 5mg can be rounded of to 0mg.

I think I'll buy it for myself and myself only cause I'll be the only one that will be using it cause My parents won't.

MichaelS

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Vermont
Essex Junction
I find it a lot of fun to make hot sauces.

I use mostly peppers that I can grow in Vermont, so I am somewhat limited but still have a variety of flavors and heat levels.

I will sometimes use nothing but one or a variety of peppers. I also often mix peppers with onions and garlic and then smoke them for a couple of hours .

I chop the peppers coarsely with a blender, add 0.25% salt by weight (there are tons of recipes if you google fermented hot sauces). Mix well and the salt will make a brine.

Put the pepper mix in a fermentor that has an air lock so you can create an anaerobic environment. Keep it at room temperature for the first week or so. They can get pretty active for a couple of weeks. It's fun to watch. I then put the jars in my basement for any time up to a year (Tabasco ferments their sauce in open oak barrels for three years) . There is not much that can live in the sauce so you don't have to worry too much. The longer you ferment the better the taste.

Once it is fermented enough, I run the material through a food mill to get out the seeds then boil it (outside) slowly for about 20 minutes before bottling in sanitized bottlers.

I usually add vinegar but sometimes I don't. The sauces are technically shelf stable for a few years but I do keep them in the refrigerator. Only once have made any that didn't seem correct. I tried to grow tabasco peppers but they didn't have time to get red. I processed the pale yellow (at least that is the color my color blind eyes saw them as) peppers and fermented for about three months. When I opened them up, they smelled a little strange so I threw them out. Never had any other troubles.

I don't save any money making hot sauce but they make good Christmas presents ,and you can tailor the taste to suit your pallette.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
This past weekend I created an eight quart pot of my "private stock" chili, adding approximately 1/2 bottle of our friend Oldsarge's "B'Wana Walts Safari Hot Sauce. That is/was some pretty darned good stuff! ;)