Cantaloop

Starting Member
My favorite would probably be Frank's Red Hot. I really shouldn't be bringing hot sauce home cause of My Father's heart attack a month and a half ago and My Father tells me to stop having hot sauce cause it will eventually catch up to you later on in your 50's and 60's.
Oh is hot sauce related to heart attacks in anyway? I thought it lowered blood pressure, which is a good case scenario for a high blood pressure patient.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^ Same here, but
I suspect it is a combination of several meds the doc has me on to control my blood pressure...they seem to be working! I've not aware that hot sauce improves one's blood pressure, but it can certainly jack up our metabolism to a modest degree....aiding in our efforts to lose weight. It is my understanding that some hot sauces are high in sodium and that might be an issue for some BP patients. :icon_scratch: ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Safari Hot Sauce is low sodium, no added sugar, no refined carbs and only the teensiest bit of gluten. Oh, and vegan safe, though why anyone would insist on a vegan safe topping for chicken and shellfish escapes me. It does go well on avocado . . .

Howard

Connoisseur
Oh is hot sauce related to heart attacks in anyway? I thought it lowered blood pressure, which is a good case scenario for a high blood pressure patient.

I try not to have too much hot sauce and My Father says it might catch up to me when I'm in my 50's. Is this true Cantaloop?

Cantaloop

Starting Member
Are there any hot sauces with low sodium out there, perhaps at a supermarket?
There is Dave's Gourmet Passionfruit Hot Sauce. It is a little more fruity though. It says 0mg sodium on the bottle, but according to the FDA anything that has less than 5mg can be rounded of to 0mg.

Howard

Connoisseur
There is Dave's Gourmet Passionfruit Hot Sauce. It is a little more fruity though. It says 0mg sodium on the bottle, but according to the FDA anything that has less than 5mg can be rounded of to 0mg.

I think I'll buy it for myself and myself only cause I'll be the only one that will be using it cause My parents won't.

MichaelS

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I find it a lot of fun to make hot sauces.

I use mostly peppers that I can grow in Vermont, so I am somewhat limited but still have a variety of flavors and heat levels.

I will sometimes use nothing but one or a variety of peppers. I also often mix peppers with onions and garlic and then smoke them for a couple of hours .

I chop the peppers coarsely with a blender, add 0.25% salt by weight (there are tons of recipes if you google fermented hot sauces). Mix well and the salt will make a brine.

Put the pepper mix in a fermentor that has an air lock so you can create an anaerobic environment. Keep it at room temperature for the first week or so. They can get pretty active for a couple of weeks. It's fun to watch. I then put the jars in my basement for any time up to a year (Tabasco ferments their sauce in open oak barrels for three years) . There is not much that can live in the sauce so you don't have to worry too much. The longer you ferment the better the taste.

Once it is fermented enough, I run the material through a food mill to get out the seeds then boil it (outside) slowly for about 20 minutes before bottling in sanitized bottlers.

I usually add vinegar but sometimes I don't. The sauces are technically shelf stable for a few years but I do keep them in the refrigerator. Only once have made any that didn't seem correct. I tried to grow tabasco peppers but they didn't have time to get red. I processed the pale yellow (at least that is the color my color blind eyes saw them as) peppers and fermented for about three months. When I opened them up, they smelled a little strange so I threw them out. Never had any other troubles.

I don't save any money making hot sauce but they make good Christmas presents ,and you can tailor the taste to suit your pallette.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
This past weekend I created an eight quart pot of my "private stock" chili, adding approximately 1/2 bottle of our friend Oldsarge's "B'Wana Walts Safari Hot Sauce. That is/was some pretty darned good stuff! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.