mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
@Oldsarge - great job on the new photos!

@David J. Cooper - if OldSarge can't get the ship-to Canada thing straightened out, I'd be happy to order a bottle for you and ship it to you. I'm probably going to buy another bottle very soon, so I could include your bottle in my order pretty easily.

LMK if that's something you'd be interested in.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Although ghost peppers may go to 1,000,000 or more Scoville units, not all sauces made with them bring nearly that level of heat. The Melinda’s Naga Jolokia is certainly hot, but not nearly as hot a eating fresh chiltepins off the push. I haven’t looked them up lately, but I vaguely recall they are in the 50,000 Scoville units range. As I’m nearing the bottom of my jar of Mina’s Spicy Harissa I’m thinking it’s about time to order Sarge’s sauce to ensure that the hot sauce shelf in the fridge stays full! I keep a range from low heat and vinegary like Cholula to medium heat and sweet like Sriracha to higher hear like Mina’s and Melinda’s with a few quirky ones, including home made chiltepins, to round out the shelf. And then there are salsas...

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Howard my friend, and others, seriously hot sauces and peppers can indeed be more than unpleasant to some. If you aren’t a regular pepper fiend, have some suitable cooling agent at the ready. Milk or sour cream will work well. Beer or water just spreads the heat around. I watched a guy order Nuclear Shrimp at a notoriously spicy Thai restaurant. He ordered a big bottle of Chimay (probably thinking that if was the most expensive it must be the best) to douse the flames. A bit later he was still in agony but also bombed. Also, if you touch hot peppers, wash your fingers very thoroughly before you touch anything like your eyes or other sensitive areas below the belt. When I make homemade salsa from mango, red onion, lime, and ghost peppers, or even lesser peppers like habaneros or even chiltepins or Serranos, I’m super careful with the seeding and mincing. Gloves aren’t a bad idea.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Howard my friend, and others, seriously hot sauces and peppers can indeed be more than unpleasant to some. If you aren’t a regular pepper fiend, have some suitable cooling agent at the ready. Milk or sour cream will work well. Beer or water just spreads the heat around. I watched a guy order Nuclear Shrimp at a notoriously spicy Thai restaurant. He ordered a big bottle of Chimay (probably thinking that if was the most expensive it must be the best) to douse the flames. A bit later he was still in agony but also bombed. Also, if you touch hot peppers, wash your fingers very thoroughly before you touch anything like your eyes or other sensitive areas below the belt. When I make homemade salsa from mango, red onion, lime, and ghost peppers, or even lesser peppers like habaneros or even chiltepins or Serranos, I’m super careful with the seeding and mincing. Gloves aren’t a bad idea.
To my mind, when dealing with any peppers beyond bells or maybe poblanos, gloves are essential. Caution is the byword.
Great advice that I, for one will immediately put to good use! ;)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts