CMDC

Honors Member
United States
DC
Washington
The other day I came across a nice Burberry guncheck sport coat. Upon taking it to the counter I spotted a moth hole on the sleeve. I left it but am considering going back to see if it's still there if it were possible and not too cost prohibitive to reweave it. I've never had this done before so I'm not sure the feasibility. The hole isn't too big--typical size I guess--and is on the inner sleeve so not terribly visible. Furthermore, the pattern of greys and blues doesn't have much contrast so I don't think that a reweaving of the hole in a solid color would stand out.

For those who have done this, what am I looking at in terms of cost and feasibility?

Danny

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
It depends on the size really. If you're really interested, go measure the hole with a tape measure and call these guys and discuss it with them.

French American Reweaving
119 West 57th Street, Room 1406
212-765-4670

You're probably looking at $75 or more to reweave it. I have had holes rewoven with great success, but it really depends on the particular circumstance.

fishertw

United States
North Carolina
Boone
Had moth holes in two sweaters rewoven via Hunter Coggins in Asheville NC last fall. Two holes each in two separate sweaters. I think the total cost was around $60 and the results were outstanding. Jim Hunter the owner of Hunter Coggins has a lady in Asheville who does the work for his store.
You can google Hunter Coggin for the phone/email access.
Tom

Himself

United States
South Carolina
Myrtle Beach
Knitwear Doctor charged me $60 for a medium hole or tear 2-3 years ago, and they did an amazing job. I think they did two garments for a total of $120.

I had a favorite jacket with a seriously chewed lapel that I deemed not worth the expense, which would have been in the hundreds.

They quoted $60 to reweave some pants with a torn cuff. I still haven't decided whether to fix, or just re-hem without cuffs.

DoghouseReilly

United States
Missouri
St. Louis
^ I think a patch is very reasonable. And being on a guncheck, I can't see it standing out much, either. My seamstress has fixed moth holes on a few of my jackets to the tune of $8. They aren't invisible, but hardly noticeable to all but the most observant.

SconnieTrad

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I will try to post a picture tomorrow, but I had a moth hole on the shoulder of a suit rewoven and it is all but invisible.

It cost around $100 for the reweaving, but it was a $2500+ suit that I thrifted for $30

Orgetorix

Honors Member
United States
Kentucky
Louisville
To be honest, I cannot ever remember seeing a Burberry garment that would be worth the cost of reweaving. The quality just isn't there to justify it.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
True, perhaps, but to a point. If a garment fits and you really like it and, especially, if you've had it long enough, then sentiment can overcome a strict cost/benefit analysis.

To be honest, I cannot ever remember seeing a Burberry garment that would be worth the cost of reweaving. The quality just isn't there to justify it.

Sartre

United States
PA
Phila
Depends on the vintage. Burberrys used to make beautiful, very high quality clothing.