Sacksuit Midwest

Starting Member
United States
MI
Dexter
All:

I am in need of a new casual coat that can handle rain, some snow and chilly midwestern winters. I had my eye on the Filson Cover Cloth Mile Maker with the optional wool liner. However, the oil wax treatment and residue on the fabric give me pause. Does anyone have experience with this garment? Thoughts?

How about the Filson Trench Coat, which appears to not require the periodic oil wax treatment and didn’t feel as oily?

I have an inquiry in to Filson customer service, but wanted to reach out to experienced folks as well.

Thanks.

TallLefty21

United States
CT
New Haven
I bought a Mile Marker a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. Since it's new I obviously don't know how it is after a rewax. It is not oily right now whatsoever.

TDWat

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Central
I've tried on Filson's cover cloth jackets at a Filson store in the past and didn't find them particularly oily. I don't know about rewaxing using Filson's wax, but with Barbour jackets, as soon as the new layer of wax soaks in they're not uncomfortably oily either. Waxing periodically is a labor of love, but you only have to do it every couple years and it gives the cloth a really unique look once it's worn in.

icky thump

United States
NY
Pleasantville
FWIW if you're going to go waxed cotton, go full Barbour. They last forever. First half dozen wearings or so after a rewax they do have a slick texture but after that, fine.

Danny

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
I will say, I like the look of the Barbour waxed cotton coats best because they have raglan sleeves. Just seems like a more polished look IMHO. Performance wise I have no doubt a Filson coat will do well. I have a few Filson items that have lasted me 15+ years.

MycroftH

Starting Member
United States
virginia
Tidewater
I have the Mile Marker jacket in wool whipcord, it's probably my favorite Fall & Winter jacket. Love the fit and the pocket layout.

I have the Field Jacket in Cover Cloth, which I break out for rain or light snow with the wool liner. It's two layers of fabric, the oil wax is in / on the outer layer and never touches the clothes underneath. I've had it since 2010, never an issue with the waxed cotton.

United States
California
Santa Monica
Are Filson jackets as good as they were before the sale the company?

Dragoon

United States
Georgia
Manchester
Mine was purchased in 2010. At that time it was referred to as the "Weekender" which is supposedly the "Mile Marker" renamed.

Another question: I'm considering buying a wool vest liner, do you normally buy the same size as the jacket?

David J. Cooper

Canada
BC
Vancouver
I have both Filson and Barbour jackets, neither is at all filmy. Perhaps on a warm day soon after waxing you may have a problem.

A very helpful sales person at Orvis in San Francisco recommended turning my wife's Barbour inside out before packing. That was good advise I suppose.

Barbour jackets are meant for the English countryside and Filson jackets are for herding cattle. So any attempt at city wear could be odd.