Fit Check: Drakes Solaro Jacket

tennessee83

Starting Member
Gents, I just received this jacket in the mail. Before I have the sleeves shortened, I wanted to get your opinion on shoulder, chest, and length of the jacket.

I typically wear shorter jackets (29~ inches) at 5'9, but the Drakes OTR length is 32~ inches. Pictures below. Would appreciate your sage advice to keep or return. Thanks!

Attachments

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I agree with Edward Wilson's assessment. The puckering at various points on the back could be problematic to fix...more than just a simple alteration.

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
It also looks like you have working cuffs. That will be very costly to get properly altered. Given the problem with the back, I would suggest returning it.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Sorry. As has been stated the back fits very badly, and probably can not be improved to the extent that it would be acceptable. I would return it.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Many thanks all for the sage advice! Will return.
Good move, because the back is not good. But the button stance is also a problem: it's too high, and doesn't look flattering on you. (Don't feel bad; a high buttoning point doesn't look good on anyone.) Next time, seek out a jacket with a deeper "V" in the front. A longer "V" will split up the fabric covering your belly, thereby achieving a slimming effect. It will also balance the cut of the jacket so that you yourself will appear to have more of a V shape.

Always aim for the V and avoid the pear.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Good move, because the back is not good. But the button stance is also a problem: it's too high, and doesn't look flattering on you. (Don't feel bad; a high buttoning point doesn't look good on anyone.) Next time, seek out a jacket with a deeper "V" in the front. A longer "V" will split up the fabric covering your belly, thereby achieving a slimming effect. It will also balance the cut of the jacket so that you yourself will appear to have more of a V shape.

Always aim for the V and avoid the pear.
Here we see the blessings of the contemporary British/American cut for the average guy! Though this button placement is particularly egregious, being placed about where they'd be for a paddock jacket. This combined with the shoulder top gorge, makes me wonder if the foolishness will reverse until the experts of the cut's slimming effect have the whole mess at about ear level. Now if you buy the trousers, you'll likely find the waist band rides about 1/2" above parts better not mentioned. The British, of whom I'm otherwise quite fond, seem to be most deserving of having this particular Rosemary's Baby placed at their doorstep.

Your advice is well given. But a recent perusal of what's available, should add, good luck! I literally would not buy any tailored jacket I've seen offered for sale in the last 2 years.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I agree that the Button Stance is very high - as if the jacket is a 3 button. And it appears a bit too long. Is it cotton? - it seems very wrinkled in the back. Although it is a bit tight across the back in the mid section, I wonder if pressing the jacket would improve it's appearance.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
I agree that the Button Stance is very high - as if the jacket is a 3 button. And it appears a bit too long. Is it cotton? - it seems very wrinkled in the back. Although it is a bit tight across the back in the mid section, I wonder if pressing the jacket would improve it's appearance.
It is a three-button jacket. Wearing it with low-rise jeans is throwing things off a bit, but the button stance is still too high.