Tequila

Starting Member
United States
NJ
Hillsborough
Hey everyone, I recently got a couple JCrew Thompson Suits for real cheap, but I'm not sure about the fit.

I got a 40R, and I'm about 5' 10" 185 lbs athletic build, but when I put on the suit jacket the shoulder forms a dimple, pics are below. Should I stick with em or size up to 42R? Any other issues as well?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Fixed pics hopefully

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Same here.

I'll say this though. J Crew "suits" aren't really tailored with any particular consistency. The label and size say very little, and there is very little consistency even within their so called fits.

I've literally tried on a jacket in a particular size, the went to try on another jacket with different fabric, but the same style and same size and it fit differently.

Tequila

Starting Member
United States
NJ
Hillsborough
Same here.

I'll say this though. J Crew "suits" aren't really tailored with any particular consistency. The label and size say very little, and there is very little consistency even within their so called fits.

I've literally tried on a jacket in a particular size, the went to try on another jacket with different fabric, but the same style and same size and it fit differently.
Redid the pics, should be working now

Searching_Best_Fit

Canada
Ontario
Mississauga
IMHO this jacket seems fit, although a slim fit if I may. OP, if you can wear a collar shirt and button the jacket, smooth out the jacket collar and sleeve head, and see if you still have the divot. If so, try a larger, fuller cut than the current one with the same 40r.

If you go one size up with current cut, the shoulder may be too wide , while the chest feels hollow. In your shot with tshirt, although there is pull on the top button but there is no flare on the bottom. That suggests that the jacket is pretty fit without the dreaded x. In other words, the jacket chest dimension fits. Furthermore, it seems that in that shot, the jacket collar does not lie closely to the neck.

One another thing that cannot be seen: how does the jacket bottom fit to your hip? Ideally the bottom should hug your hip with minimal flare. If you go one size up, the hip on the jacket may/will be too big so the jacket will be seen too big.

medhat

United States
Wisconsin
Madison
It's acceptable if a very slim fit is what you're looking for. From the wrinkling on the sleeves, a good press/steam might let the shoulders out a tiny bit more such that it'll lessen the dimpling you're seeing. Similarly, going up a size may be a simpler solution, but may change the look you get. But it's close either way.