Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I love penny loafers. In many ways, I consider them the perfect shoe. I probably spend 90% of my time in khakis near home, and there are few outfits I might contrive, including those with sport jackets that wouldn't be enhanced by a pair of comfortable, simple pennies.

I also have one pair of J M Weston shoes. J M Weston makes very fine shoes. And I can find little reason they shouldn't be compared to the best efforts of Northamptonshire. While different in character, the quality and style they offer is at the same level as Northampton's finest.

Evidently, Derek of Die Workwear! agrees. And this nice little blog article features one of J. M. Weston's most iconic models, their model 180 penny loafer.

tumblr_inline_nn62jadAoZ1qfex1b_500.jpg

http://dieworkwear.com/post/117007293989/french-weejuns

No, these aren't the French version of Bass Wejuns, they're very high quality footwear. And I do so love them I think I need to pick up a pair -

http://www.mrporter.com/mens/designers/jm_weston?resType=designer&keywords=jm+weston&keywords=Jm+Weston&cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-QFGLnEolOWg-_-Custom-_-LinkBuilder&siteID=QFGLnEolOWg-5HfR9.8Q8MbINUahlsV1mg

Ah, $150 what a deal! WAIT! That's $750!!! Practically a whole month's rent!

Merde!!! :mad:

SlideGuitarist

Advanced Member
United States
VA (Virginia)
Reston
You really had me going there.

I decided to save some money and buy a $145 linen necktie from that site. ;)

Gurdon

United States
California
Forestville
Flanderian,

Thank you for sharing such French-looking shoes.

It is interesting that the J M Weston penny loafer is so chubby looking. I don't recall seeing them when I was in the Pris store a few years ago, but a very cute French couple came in and I noticed that the young woman of the pair was wearing penny loafers and dressed as a preppy might be imagined to have dressed.

I wish, also, that I'd paid attention to the Vass version when I was in the store last year. In both cases I figured that the American versions were just fine and there was no need to look farther afield -- terribly short-sighted of me.

Regards,
Gurdon

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
Loafers can be a tricky fit for me due to my high instep, but there are many that I admire. When it comes to penny loafers, I tend to prefer the sleeker renditions. Sticker shock aside, this pair from St. Crispin's exemplifies my personal ideal:

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
That's my favorite style of penny loafer also. I don't think "sticker shock" accurately describes what my wife would feel if I actually ever bought a pair of St. Cs, "joyfully murderous rage" would be closer, followed by "lighthearted dismemberment" and "playful disposing of the body" .

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Loafers can be a tricky fit for me due to my high instep, but there are many that I admire. When it comes to penny loafers, I tend to prefer the sleeker renditions. Sticker shock aside, this pair from St. Crispin's exemplifies my personal ideal:

Typically extravagant St. Crispins quality in a beautiful loafer! Asking which is nicer is akin to asking what flavor of ice cream is better; whichever you prefer.

I too have a high instep, and I find my sole pair of J M Westons to be among my most comfortable shoes. But they are monk straps, so how the instep fits would be different than the loafer, though I have no reason to think that the 180 is particularly problematic in this regard.

Edit: The shoe that the 180 reminds me most of is John Lobb's Lopez model. C&J's Harvard is also in the same family.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Typically extravagant St. Crispins quality in a beautiful loafer! Asking which is nicer is akin to asking what flavor of ice cream is better; whichever you prefer.

I too have a high instep, and I find my sole pair of J M Westons to be among my most comfortable shoes. But they are monk straps, so how the instep fits would be different than the loafer, though I have no reason to think that the 180 is particularly problematic in this regard.

Edit: The shoe that the 180 reminds me most of is John Lobb's Lopez model. C&J's Harvard is also in the same family.
My taste is far more plebeian. My pair of AE Kenwoods suits me and budget just fine. Some day I may get another pair in the saddle tan . . . or not.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts