never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Another newb question.

All else being equal (fabric quality, construction, etc), is there a formality difference between a sack suit and a darted suit? Could you wear a navy or charcoal sack suit in the boardroom or to court (or whatever formal business setting you can think of) and be dressed for the occasion? Or a black sack suit for a funeral?

Personally I need to buy a navy suit that will be worn only for formal business occasions (everyday wear is coats and trousers). I really like the look and feel of my sack jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Cut can affect the formality of a suit. A soft-shouldered sack suit or a soft Neapolitan suit looks less formal than a structured suit from an English military tailor. In practice, there is no difference in formality between suits of different cuts. Cloth determines the formality and purpose of a suit far more than anything else. At one time it was very common to see sack suits in every boardroom in America. Though sack suits are not common anymore, to most people a dark suit is a dark suit. Natural shoulders are in fashion, so a sack suit will blend in with those. The fit through the body will make it look different than most other suits, but few will understand why.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Cut can affect the formality of a suit. A soft-shouldered sack suit or a soft Neapolitan suit looks less formal than a structured suit from an English military tailor. In practice, there is no difference in formality between suits of different cuts. Cloth determines the formality and purpose of a suit far more than anything else. At one time it was very common to see sack suits in every boardroom in America. Though sack suits are not common anymore, to most people a dark suit is a dark suit. Natural shoulders are in fashion, so a sack suit will blend in with those. The fit through the body will make it look different than most other suits, but few will understand why.
+1.

It depends upon whom you ask. Though for all practical purposes two otherwise identical suits, each in one of those styles, will serve any purpose equally well.

But for me, a more shapely suit has an edge in the degree of formality. Like I said, it depends upon whom you ask.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^IMHO,
Sack and Darted suit designs are of equal potential formality in terms of wearing opportunities. The physical form or the wearer is a determinant in the choice of style(s). I've always found it easier to achieve an acceptable fit by choosing Sack designed jackets. ;)

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I agree with Matt S. The cut and the construction can make one suit look more formal than another. I am fairly ignorant regarding military uniforms but somehow I don't imagine a Marine in a sack suit blue dress uniform.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
^^IMHO,
Sack and Darted suit designs are of equal potential formality in terms of wearing opportunities. The physical form or the wearer is a determinant in the choice of style(s). I've always found it easier to achieve an acceptable fit by choosing Sack designed jackets. ;)
I think this is the crux. If you are built like Romelu Lukaku a darted form fitting suit will give the edge in look.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
I’m probably built more for a sack suit at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Of course, to many devotees of TNSIL the sack always wins, but that is a shrinking demographic.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts