FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
You may be hard pressed to find a black sack suit. For good reason, in my opinion.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
Cut can affect the formality of a suit. A soft-shouldered sack suit or a soft Neapolitan suit looks less formal than a structured suit from an English military tailor. In practice, there is no difference in formality between suits of different cuts. Cloth determines the formality and purpose of a suit far more than anything else. At one time it was very common to see sack suits in every boardroom in America. Though sack suits are not common anymore, to most people a dark suit is a dark suit. Natural shoulders are in fashion, so a sack suit will blend in with those. The fit through the body will make it look different than most other suits, but few will understand why.
Hmm, I think I read somewhere that sack suits have a natural shoulder expression, but are often quite heavily padded?

Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
I've got quite a thing for sack suits; I especially like the non-padded shoulders. I currently own two: a green tweed SB 3 button for winter and a blue cotton one for summer with two buttons, no lining and surgeon's cuffs.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Hmm, I think I read somewhere that sack suits have a natural shoulder expression, but are often quite heavily padded?
Ah, yes. I believe that is true. I have never owned a sack suit. Some people describe it as having little or no padding, but from the examples I have handled there was a proper pad in there. But they are padded in a way that the pad isn't noticeable like it is in Northern Italian suits. Funny how sack suits often have more shoulder padding than English bespoke suits, though the English suits have a more prominent shoulder.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
Ah, yes. I believe that is true. I have never owned a sack suit. Some people describe it as having little or no padding, but from the examples I have handled there was a proper pad in there. But they are padded in a way that the pad isn't noticeable like it is in Northern Italian suits. Funny how sack suits often have more shoulder padding than English bespoke suits, though the English suits have a more prominent shoulder.
How comfortable are they?

I've also been curious about trying a jacket with roped shoulders, but no shoulder padding.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts