Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
How comfortable are they?

I've also been curious about trying a jacket with roped shoulders, but no shoulder padding.
English bespoke suits vary quite a lot. Some have heavy structure and some have a more medium-weight structure (I don't think any will be as light as a Neapolitan suit). I have tried on a few heavy English bespoke suits, but they were modern examples and thus probably not as heavy as the old-fashion Savile Row style. The modern, lighter English suits are very comfortable. Some can feel slightly stiff but not heavy. I really like suits that have soft shoulders and roping. That's rare to find outside of bespoke.

medhat

United States
Wisconsin
Madison
I agree with Matt S. The cut and the construction can make one suit look more formal than another. I am fairly ignorant regarding military uniforms but somehow I don't imagine a Marine in a sack suit blue dress uniform.
They (some Marines of a given vintage) don't either (imagine themselves in a sack suit)! Sometimes life, an extra meal or drink or two, and a few steps up in pay grade have a way of messing with one's impression of one's self. Working with a lot of veterans, like the general population, when physical fitness is not a daily requirement human nature can go in a lot of different directions. And while rarely in uniform anymore, it seems the vets I know, if called upon to don their old uniforms, wouldn't be inclined to get it re-tailored for the given occasion, hence the sometimes awkward fit. On that same note, if they earned the uniform, they can pretty much wear it any way they want (obviously in regs) as far as I'm concerned. Service is much more than a uniform.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
They (some Marines of a given vintage) don't either (imagine themselves in a sack suit)! Sometimes life, an extra meal or drink or two, and a few steps up in pay grade have a way of messing with one's impression of one's self. Working with a lot of veterans, like the general population, when physical fitness is not a daily requirement human nature can go in a lot of different directions. And while rarely in uniform anymore, it seems the vets I know, if called upon to don their old uniforms, wouldn't be inclined to get it re-tailored for the given occasion, hence the sometimes awkward fit. On that same note, if they earned the uniform, they can pretty much wear it any way they want (obviously in regs) as far as I'm concerned. Service is much more than a uniform.
Obviously fitness has a lot to do with it. When I get close to young marines in blue dress I usually find myself remarking to them how sharp they look (as well as commending them for their service to our country.) And the truth is they usually know how good they look and rightfully so - it's nice to see young men who take pride in their appearance. A form fitting suit simply looks better than the same suit not contoured to the physique. So is that "more formal?" Perhaps not, but it sure looks better. Yeah, and there is something special about that blue dress....

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
English bespoke suits vary quite a lot. Some have heavy structure and some have a more medium-weight structure (I don't think any will be as light as a Neapolitan suit). I have tried on a few heavy English bespoke suits, but they were modern examples and thus probably not as heavy as the old-fashion Savile Row style. The modern, lighter English suits are very comfortable. Some can feel slightly stiff but not heavy. I really like suits that have soft shoulders and roping. That's rare to find outside of bespoke.
The bolded is disheartening.

Do you have any pictures for soft shoulders and roping? In my head it looks good.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
You may be hard pressed to find a black sack suit. For good reason, in my opinion.
I was browsing suits on O’Connell’s site and lo and behold I noticed they had a black sack suit. O’Connell’s has everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts