RansomeAndGwynn

Starting Member
United States
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Good day, This is my first ever AAAK post so let me know if I screw it up!

I've purchased a mid-century tie for resale by G.S. Harvale that does not say what institution it was made for and I am wondering if anyone here knows. The tie is black silk twill with the number "39" in orange all over it.

I have handled a number of other classic Harvale ties including one that was made for Princeton's student newspaper, The Princetonian, in the late 50's or early 60's. I will be happy to share pictures if anyone would like to see them.

Many thanks, Martin

Reds & Tops

My guess would be Princeton class of 39...but it would appear that this tie is in great shape to be 70 years old.

Still, Princeton does make sense.

RansomeAndGwynn

Starting Member
United States
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Too early. Harvale was founded in 1949. They began in New York but a label on this tie gives a Santa Barbara, CA address.

Here's an abstract of a 1954 New Yorker article on the firm: "Interview with George A. Finck, president of G. S. Harvale & Co., who make and sell old-school ties as well as ties for clubs, university clubs, fraternal organizations, corporations, trade-associations, and labor-unions. Mr. Finck is Yale '41 and his partner, when he went into business in 1949, was Sheldon Dietz, Harvard '41, whence the name Harvale. Mr. Dietz has since dropped out. Mr. Finck gave the names of some of his customers. The company's idea is to democratize the old-school tie. But they do not sell a tie to an individual who does not have the proper authorization to wear it. Dyes for these ties must be exactly right at all times, with no variations. Industrial "school ties" are mostly designed by Harvale's art dept. in consultation with the companies. Examples shown. Office is at 100 5 Ave. Factory opposite."

Mad Hatter

Just a guess-a neckwear verison of a letterman jacket? Something in school colors and player number? Would still not indicate year nor sport, though. That would be interesting to find out it belonged to a noteworthy athlete.

Joe Tradly

Advanced Member
United States
VA
Alexandria
Class of '39 tie does not mean it was made in '39. Could be a reunion tie made in '59 for a 20-year reunion.

JB

C. Sharp

United States
NY
Johnson City
Martin,
Welcome. You always have great stuff for sale. Those are great Chipp Challis pants and Troy Guild shirts you have up. Anyway, this is pure speculation but the tie does not have to be for an undergraduate. An alumnus from the class of 1939 could easily have worn such a tie for say there 25 reunion 1964.(Started this before I saw Joe's comment) I have a few Harvale ties myself that are bit of a mystery. It makes it hard when they do not label them.
As an aside I would love to see a collection of all the dining club ties of Princeton. So far I saw the one you had and a second club, I believe a (Cottage Club) damaged bow tie sold in a tie lot.

Joe Tradly

Advanced Member
United States
VA
Alexandria
Makes even more sense now that I think about it. Princeton has one of the most robust reunion programs in the country. Alumni march in a reunion parade with their class and each tries to outdo the other with louder alumni jackets, trousers, etc. Seems like this tie would fit right in.

JB