Bjorn

Sweden
Sweden
Balsta

Gaucho leather, as used in shoes and womens handbags, is what exactly?

How do you treat it? Can I use reno on it? Water proofing spray?

Bjorn

Sweden
Sweden
Balsta
It's different from ordinary calf in some way, I can tell that much by touching it. They've applied something to it.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders

Gaucho leather, as used in shoes and womens handbags, is what exactly?

How do you treat it? Can I use reno on it? Water proofing spray?
It is whatever they choose to define it as, since the term has no intrinsic meaning. :(

Personally, I prefer Groucho Leather! :teacha:

zzdocxx

Honors Member
United States
California
San Diego
You should have asked this a couple of weeks ago, I just got back from Argentina.

Can't find a definition anywhere, but googling reveals that other makers are using the term as well.

The colleague who attended the conference with me in BA informed that Hermes is considered top of the line now, this is according to his wife.

Please make a note of it.

Meanwhile, what is gaucho leather? It must mean something!

I remember how disappointed I was to read on wikipedia or someplace about all the different types of "leather" goods. Eg., "bonded leather" is actually just 17% ground up leather mixed with vinyl or something, they don't even allow it to be called leather in the UK!

And so forth.

Bjorn

Sweden
Sweden
Balsta
Other brands also supply bags and accessories in this leather, and the purse forum has a pretty good post on the differences between different kinds of groucho. However, I can't find much information on caring for it.

All leather types are 'marketing names'. What I want to know is how to treat it.

Bjorn

Sweden
Sweden
Balsta
It's not corrected grain. It's a waxed and treated full grain calf. At least as far as coach handbags goes...

Bjorn

Sweden
Sweden
Balsta
You should have asked this a couple of weeks ago, I just got back from Argentina.

Can't find a definition anywhere, but googling reveals that other makers are using the term as well.

The colleague who attended the conference with me in BA informed that Hermes is considered top of the line now, this is according to his wife.

Please make a note of it.

Meanwhile, what is gaucho leather? It must mean something!

I remember how disappointed I was to read on wikipedia or someplace about all the different types of "leather" goods. Eg., "bonded leather" is actually just 17% ground up leather mixed with vinyl or something, they don't even allow it to be called leather in the UK!

And so forth.
Hermes 'is' top of the line, always have been. They use top quality full grain vegetable tanned leather from the best tanneries, and their craftsmen are the very best.

I don't know any company that makes leather goods to the same quality as Hermes, apart from similarly expensive and more obscure makers in Italy and England.

But I don't know what Groucho leather is, apart from being Italian, hand finished, waxed and treated after waxing in some way.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
United States
California
San Diego
Yeah thanks, I didn't know that about Hermes, mostly I hear about LV and Coach.

My friend was going on a bit about, or should I say bemoaning, his wife's expensive tastes.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Dosen't/didn't Orvis offer a sport jacket crafted of such material?

Hmmmm, Argentinian cowboy leather made in Italy...?
LOL....and what's wrong with that? Remember Clint Eastwood and his series of "spaghetti westerns," The Good, The Bad and the Ugly; A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More(!)? ;)

StephenRG

Honors Member
United States
New York
Merrick
As "rich Corinthian leather" was made from rich Corinthians, perhaps Gaucho leather is made from gauchos.