Il Signor Crispone

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
UK
South Yorkshire
Doncaster
They're very high quality, with a price tag to match. But you are genuinely paying for quality and skilled craftsmanship rather than a brand or an image. If you can afford them I doubt you'd regret buying a pair, they really are beautiful shoes.

Odradek

Advanced Member
UK
Oxfordshire
Henley on Thames
They're very high quality, with a price tag to match. But you are genuinely paying for quality and skilled craftsmanship rather than a brand or an image. If you can afford them I doubt you'd regret buying a pair, they really are beautiful shoes.
Some of them are beautiful shoes.

These days, (and that might mean since the Prada takeover), Church's also make lots of really ugly shoes.
Polished leather or binder brogues with chrome studs all over them.
I've no idea what tasteless muppets would buy these monstrosities, but I passed the Church's shop in Regent Street today and they are on very prominent display in the window, so somebody must be attracted.

And even worse, the new Shanghai shoes, the ones I've seen are monks that look like they've been abused for 10 years without shoe trees.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/271571/churchs-new-shanghai-like-or-not

I saw these ones in the window of the Bicester outlet store and had to go in and check my eyes weren't deceiving me.
They are not cheap either.
If ever a company had lost it's way, that company now is Church's shoes.

Il Signor Crispone

UK
South Yorkshire
Doncaster
Some of them are beautiful shoes.

These days, (and that might mean since the Prada takeover), Church's also make lots of really ugly shoes.
I agree completely. I have seen those monstrosities of which you speak, but had blotted them from my memory. Life has sufficient sorrows without dwelling upon Church's fashion range.

But if you want a pair of black cap toe Oxfords or a classic brogue, and can afford them, Church's are good. They have lost their way with the fashion crap, but the core range is still very nice.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Correct on the Prada account. I think their basic shoe is over priced. The hand grade shoes are nice but then you're into the $700-800 range so it pays to look at other brands. They have a high end line that, they claim, is on par with John Lobb (I was told exactly this by a SA at the Chicago store) which coincidentally is priced also on par with JL.

During their sales they have select models on sale for 40% off. That's about the only time I would consider looking at them. Otherwise, I don't find them particularly interesting.

style417

United States
New Hampshire
Concord
I didn't realize that Prada had bought them.

Oh my, those monks are particularly horrible.

Langham

Honors Member
England
Kent
Tenterden
Since the Prada takeover, Church's have been taken in some unexpected directions - no one can say they are hidebound by tradition. However, other Northampton makers, in my opinion, offer better value and quality - the prime example is Crockett & Jones, but you might also consider Cheaney. The latter firm, coincidentally, is now run by the Church brothers, who bought it following the takeover of their old firm.

TimelesStyle

United States
IL
chicago
Correct on the Prada account. I think their basic shoe is over priced. The hand grade shoes are nice but then you're into the $700-800 range so it pays to look at other brands. They have a high end line that, they claim, is on par with John Lobb (I was told exactly this by a SA at the Chicago store) which coincidentally is priced also on par with JL.

During their sales they have select models on sale for 40% off. That's about the only time I would consider looking at them. Otherwise, I don't find them particularly interesting.
I think that's an excellent assessment. Let's put it this way, if I had to pick a shoe made by Prada to pay $700 for (and there are a lot!), it would be those. However I don't know that the shoes in general are of the same quality as the competition. For my money I'd rather C&J (or RL on the rare occasion the EG/GG-made English shoes go on deep discount).