G

Guest-488630

My father has a G-shop house account which I exploited to build out a preppy wardrode; Gant, Weejuns and lots of Madras.
A side benefit was that I was allowed to keep my parking space in the side lot a go and get real drunk at the Tombs.
I also remember seeing Mary Travers there, maybe buying for Peter and Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest-512548

My father has a G-shop house account which I exploited to build out a preppy wardrode; Gant, Weejuns and lots of Madras.
A side benefit was that I was allowed to keep my parking space in the side lot a go and get real drunk at the Tombs.
I also remember seeing Mary Travers there, maybe buying for Pepter and Paul.
Haha, I enjoyed being on duty in the car park, anything to be outside in the warm sun, slightly warmer than Scotland so was a novelty whilst working there! Remember Tombs too, great place for a pint or two during lunch breaks!

G

Guest-470045

Britches, Raleighs, Garfinckles, Woodies and Hechts all closed in succession the moment I moved here in the early 90s.
Long before there was Burberry Shop in DC the Georgetown University Shop carried Burberry trench coats for women. Even though I worked for Woodies at the time and had a discount on clothing I wanted the Burberry trench. I saved and saved for one and wore it forever.

MarcDavidMiller

United States
DC
Washington
I remember GU shop well, both the Georgetown and Chevy Chase locations. The only item I ever purchased, though, was two shirts for black tie use, with detachable collars, bib fronts and they buttoned in the back, to have an uninterrupted bib. Classy!

I worked at the Georgetown Inn on Wisconsin and N Streets for a couple of years (1982-1984), and spent far too much of my funds at Britches of Georgetown, F. Scott’s, and Piccolo Mondo (downtown). Britches had a great selection of trad clothing, a bit more modern and fitted than Brooks Brothers at the time, including Alan Flusser. Flusser stayed at the hotel and I had breakfast with him, a sartorial thrill. I asked him why he didn’t include Hermès ties in his book of clothing musts: he said that he didn’t like them very much!

I also got to meet Alexander Julian when he opened a store on WIsconsin Avenue. He drove, or was driven in, a private Checker Cab. Great clothing, again very traditional in cut but with more innovative colors (and still high quality).

Back to food/drink: I did go to Tombs but much preferred F. Scott’s, a fun place where I could put wear black tie on a Saturday night for a date. My eatery of choice was Martin’s Tavern, across the street from the Georgetown Inn. A real family atmosphere, good food and even on a first visit you would be considered a regular. I also enjoyed Desparado’s on M Street, a bit of a dive bar a block from where I lived and now the Embassy of Ukraine. A few years ago the deputy chief of mission at the Embassy and I were talking about the building and he was quite amused about my description of it when it was a bar.

I recently moved back to Washington after being in New York most of my life, and am just rediscovering the magic of this capital city. Obviously this thread brings up many memories.

Iain Caird

Starting Member
UK
Perthshire
Longforgan
I remember going with Mr Saltz in the car to help him with an ‘antique‘ chair he’d bought! I remember it for two reasons.
A) in relation to antiques in Scotland this chair was new
B) I was terrified as he drove along a one way street the wrong way. I did point out that the street was one way but just seemed to make him drive quicker!

After working there for 3 months I went to work in Rubinstein Bros in New Orleans for another 3 months. Best 6 months of my life!

Last edited: