Jeff84

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Livonia
Where can I find a good quality rain coat to wear over a suit or sport coat? If I am a 38R for my jackets, What size what I generally need?

Jeff84

United States
Michigan
Livonia
For spring/ summer wear.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Where can I find a good quality rain coat to wear over a suit or sport coat? If I am a 38R for my jackets, What size what I generally need? For spring/ summer wear.
You didn't mention price, but you did mention "good quality," so here goes:

Consider the "Lightweight English Raincoat" by Grenfell, available at Ben Silver. You'd probably buy it in your suit size. (Ben Silver also sells a Grenfell raincoat with a zip-in wool liner.)

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
You didn't mention price, but you did mention "good quality," so here goes:

Consider the "Lightweight English Raincoat" by Grenfell, available at Ben Silver. You'd probably buy it in your suit size. (Ben Silver also sells a Grenfell raincoat with a zip-in wool liner.)
I'm wondering why a large swathe of lined cotton with buttons costs $895 USD.

Jeff84

United States
Michigan
Livonia
Chuck,

I figure it will cost a lot, which I’m okay with.

Jeff

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Many, many years ago in a land far, far away I spent a whole lot of money on a classic Burberry Trench Coat. Made of heavy cotton poplin and triple stitched in all the right places, the belt was fitted with D rings for carrying my grenades (grenades not included...thank gawd!) and with a toasty warm liner to be inserted for wear during the winter months; it was worth every penny I paid and then some! ;) Good luck in your hunt.

PS: Before the USAF told me I was getting too old and sent me home with a grey ID card in hand, I seem to recall our Trench/Rain Coats were made by London Fog and I suspect such gear used by our sister services were made by the same manufacturer. Those coats performed well and held up to hard wear. I'm sure the price tag should prove to be much more modest!

Last edited:

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
In my experience cotton raincoats are nice, except for actually keeping you dry.

You can get a perfectly functional London Fog raincoat from someplace like Macy’s for not a lot of money.

I can also recommend Schneider’s (for staying dry) but don’t know where to buy.

Normally the size to buy is your suit size, the maker will have taken into account that you will wear over a jacket.

But nowadays, who knows?

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
I'm wondering why a large swathe of lined cotton with buttons costs $895 USD.
In the clothing world, full retail is usually mind-boggling, isn't it?

A long, long time ago, in a studio apartment far, far away, I used to think that cotton fabric was cotton fabric; that wool suit fabric was wool suit fabric; that silk was silk.

I no longer believe that. I am now aware of--and can feel--the difference between garments made of cheap fabrics and their counterparts that are made of much higher-quality materials. And really good-quality fabric will cost you.

If the OP can find an inexpensive rain coat at Macy's or some other department store--or at Jos. A. Banks--that is as good as, or almost as good as, a Grenfell--then more power to him.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
In the clothing world, full retail is usually mind-boggling, isn't it?

A long, long time ago, in a studio apartment far, far away, I used to think that cotton fabric was cotton fabric; that wool suit fabric was wool suit fabric; that silk was silk.

I no longer believe that. I am now aware of--and can feel--the difference between garments made of cheap fabrics and their counterparts that are made of much higher-quality materials. And really good-quality fabric will cost you.

If the OP can find an inexpensive rain coat at Macy's or some other department store--or at Jos. A. Banks--that is as good as, or almost as good as, a Grenfell--then more power to him.
Great way of putting it, I suppose I found my limit.

Do you have experience with the Grenfell fabric? If so, can you tell us more about it?

ItalianStyle

Canada
Ontario
Cambridge
The classic Burberry trench coat would be the only Burberry item I would ever consider, since it is, well, a classic... but I can't vouch for it ability to repel water...
For fitting over a jacket I use either a Barbour (with a hood) or - less 'rural' - an oilskin riding coat. None of them are truly 'dressy', but they cover my needs...

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts