Good suit brands in a classic fit for daily wear? Under $500

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
J.Crew offers good value and there is alway a sale or promo code on or around the corner.

They are on the slim side, but not anywhere near as skinny as shown on the models. I own a 40L and, while the lapels are narrow, the overall fit is not skinny and the length not short. The pant's rise is short though - works for me, but you should be aware.

They are good, not great, suits, but very good value for <$500. I've had mine, going on, (at least) five years and it's held up well. I own one very similar to this one:

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/suits_tuxedos/suit_jackets/ludlow-suit-jacket-with-double-vent-in-italian-wool/28130?color_name=hthr-charcoal

ozshadow

United States
Michigan
St. Clair Shores
People have different definitions of classic fit. Do they mean a sack? Start stalking JPress and BB sales.
Think of the typical suit you see any of the last 5 or 6 Presidents wearing. That is a classic suit to me.

Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
Wherever/whatever bought, it will always look better if properly fitted/altered to our unique body shapes.

Big T

United States
PA
DuBois
There's llittle any tailor can do if the garment is too tight and short to start with.
Agreed, and the tailor, if worth his/her salt, will tell you there's little that can be done. At that point, if bought used, you donate the suit to the Salvation Army. If looking at new OTR, you look at different sizes (afterall we are talking of suits under $500).

medhat

United States
Wisconsin
Madison
Think of the typical suit you see any of the last 5 or 6 Presidents wearing. That is a classic suit to me.
Although this is likely not the site for this particular recommendation, I'd not completely discount a general department store (Macys, Penneys, etc...). As others have mentioned, a well-fitting suit will trump a poorly-fitted but more expensive suit. And department stores in my experience typically have suits cut in a more generous, traditional fit than are the suits you'd find at J Crew or Banana Republic. If it starts by fitting though the shoulders and the length is fine, then you're off to a good start. My primary beef with dept. store suits are that the armholes are way too big, but maybe that's an issue specific to me.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Although this is likely not the site for this particular recommendation, I'd not completely discount a general department store (Macys, Penneys, etc...). As others have mentioned, a well-fitting suit will trump a poorly-fitted but more expensive suit. And department stores in my experience typically have suits cut in a more generous, traditional fit than are the suits you'd find at J Crew or Banana Republic. If it starts by fitting though the shoulders and the length is fine, then you're off to a good start. My primary beef with dept. store suits are that the armholes are way too big, but maybe that's an issue specific to me.
The JCrew "classic" cuts have a 3.5in lapel and are cut very similar to a BB regent fit. They are also of proper length.

Their slim is, however, slim, although the length is still proper.

Dcr5468

United States
Louisiana
Mandeville
Find a menswear store that carries Jack Victor as their store label. You can easily find off-season items in your price range and a summer suit I just purchased appears as well constructed as my Samuelsons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jc1305us

United States
NJ
Basking Ridge
Get on Ebay and find a pre owned suit of high quality. It may take a little time, but you can do well. Good Luck