EndZone

I'm looking for a good decent tailor in Sydney. I wouldn't know where to start looking, I have no clue where they are, can anyone help me out? Sorry if a similar topic was posted before, the search function is not working for me.

Aus_MD

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
John Cutler, in Henry Bucks, O'Connell St.

Joe Cutrone, Edgecliff Centre, Edgecliff.

Aus

PhatG

Starting Member
When you say tailor - do you mean alterations or bespoke suits & shirts?

If bespoke then John Cutler is good - though things are not the same since the departure of Karl Sussmann...

EndZone

Mainly just as a bespoke tailor or services similar as the prices for bespoke is abit too high for me. I've heard of John Cutler, any ideas how much it is in general for a shirt?

Aus_MD

quote:Originally posted by EndZone

Mainly just as a bespoke tailor or services similar as the prices for bespoke is abit too high for me. I've heard of John Cutler, any ideas how much it is in general for a shirt?
Depends on fabric but say AUD350. I have not had Joe Cutrone make me a shirt but I would guess that his charges would be somewhat cheaper. Rochefort in Elizabeth St, primarily a tie maker, also makes shirts, but I am not sure whether this is a MTM service or bespoke.

Aus

EndZone

I've heard there is a tailor in Maroubra, Sydney that does draping. I was curious about this, have you heard about them before?

Aus_MD

quote:Originally posted by EndZone

I've heard there is a tailor in Maroubra, Sydney that does draping. I was curious about this, have you heard about them before?
I have not heard about him. The other better known tailors in Sydney are Bijan, in O'Connell St and Adamo Marrone in Leichardt, but I know nothing of their work, nor know anyone who has had anything made by them. There is a short RealPlayer movie about Adamo here.

Aus

edit: hyperlinks added

AZTEC

Australia
NSW
SYDNEY
quote:Originally posted by PhatG

When you say tailor - do you mean alterations or bespoke suits & shirts?

If bespoke then John Cutler is good - though things are not the same since the departure of Karl Sussmann...
Yes, Karl had a wonderful eye for materials and colours. He was always impeccably dressed whenever I visited, a man of true style. Having said that, the actual fit and silhouette of the suit comes from john's skill as a cutter. I would recommend him without reservation.

AZTEC

PhatG

Starting Member
Re Rochefort...

He makes beautiful ties (I have a few, & look forward to collecting more)... As for Shane's shirts - personally I had a very bad experience... (I was spoilt by the attention to detail & service from karl & John at Cutler)

Cutler's Bespoke shirts are my favourite of the Australian made - I have over 25 Cutler shirts to date...

Vince Maloney on Elizabeth St also offer a fantastic tailoring service as well as a shirt service.

What ever you do, avoid Harrolds in Sydney... The service & feel is 'smarmy'...

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts