Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but are grey homburgs acceptable with semi-formal day dress aka stroller, stresseman, etc? I think I read somewhere that the colour of any hat should harmonise with your overcoat; I have two navy-blue overcoats, both single breasted, one with a fly, one without. I would imagine grey would go well with navy?

Also, are there any rules as regards the colour of top hats in morning dress? Or can they be either black or grey?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
While not claiming to be an authority on semi-formal and formal dress, my feeling that day dress should definitely be lighter (grey) that evening wear (black). But such requirements are so far from my life style that no one should pay a whole lot of heed to my opinions.

Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
I'm fascinated by the idea that somebody, somewhere, is concerned about wearing the right top hat with morning dress, or if a grey homberg can be worn with a stroller.
Fascinated.

vonSuess

United States
Indiana
Indianapolis
Well, it seems like a valid question to me. I wear a grey Homburg (I think Stetson calls it Caribou) with my Stroller on a reasonably regular basis. Homburgs are my everyday hat, anyway, so I have several. I think the black one would also work. With morning suits, in real life I'm yet to see anyone wearing anything but a black top hat, including me. There are plenty of images on-line of those wearing all kinds of hats with all kinds of formal attire so there are, apparently, places where almost anything goes. I'd say that since you know there's a difference between formalwear for the evening and that for the daytime, you're already ahead of the crowd...

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
United States
California
Long Beach
^Aside from the rare wedding, how many men do you ever see in full-rig morning attire around Indianapolis? No knock against Indianapolis, my American grandmother was born there and lived right across the street from Benjamin Harrison as a little girl. She could remember torchlight parades for him in 1888!

vonSuess

United States
Indiana
Indianapolis
Just often enough that I need one, myself - although it has a lot less to do with me than with my family foundation. I maybe wear morning attire once every year or two and not usually in Indianapolis. I wear a stroller maybe a couple of times a year and that's generally because I can't bring myself to wear evening clothes in the daytime. Last occasion was for a black-tie event in the evening that was rescheduled to mid-afternoon. Everyone else just wore their evening clothes anyway. I just couldn't do it...

You probably know that the Harrison Marching Society became the Columbia Club. A fine institution in it's day. I think it's still hanging on...

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but are grey homburgs acceptable with semi-formal day dress aka stroller, stresseman, etc? I think I read somewhere that the colour of any hat should harmonise with your overcoat; I have two navy-blue overcoats, both single breasted, one with a fly, one without. I would imagine grey would go well with navy?

Also, are there any rules as regards the colour of top hats in morning dress? Or can they be either black or grey?
Good Time Charlie prefers black, the gentleman past the Duchess of Cornwall's left shoulder favors grey -

1579236782336.png

vonSuess

United States
Indiana
Indianapolis
I kind of like the grey. Perhaps I should get one after all since apparently nobody else around here has one...