dwebber18

I used to keep it short and gelled, but not spiky or anything like that just neat. I've been growing it out and been doing the pomade and side part for about 2 years now and it;s been fun experimenting with different pomades and techniques. Now I'm letting it grow out further, still doing the same style but just a bit longer. Don't know what I really have planned but we'll see how long I can hold off getting it cut.

stevenclowd1

Trust me, I know how painful hair cuts can be, but I also have experienced first hand how to maintain the health of the hair and it's true that regular (short) trims are best!

drlivingston

Connoisseur
I keep my trademark flat-top maintained with biweekly trips to my barber shop... It's an old fashioned shop with the retro chairs where they still lay you back and put hot towels on your face before shaving you with a straight razor.

dwebber18

I keep my trademark flat-top maintained with biweekly trips to my barber shop... It's an old fashioned shop with the retro chairs where they still lay you back and put hot towels on your face before shaving you with a straight razor.
There is what I'll call and upscale traditional barber shop around here that does that as well. They have beer, bourbon, water and soda you can have while you wait as well as a pool table and darts. They are big for bachelor's parties and guys getting groomed for their upcoming weddings. They do a shoulder massage, hot towels hair cut and shaves if you want. Hair cut is a bit expensive and a shave is way too much personally but the few times I went it was fun but I don't think I got any better haircut and it took about an hour.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
For a bit more than fifty years I have worn the hair short, currently having the barber use a #000 guard to trim the sides and the back and leaving just enough on the top to allow just the hint of a part to show. While I cannot claim to have never used tonics or pomades on the hair, such interludes have been infrequent and extremely brief, as in every case my "good senses" were quickly regained. The look is maintained with tri-weekly visits to the Barber shop. ;)

Jovan

Honors Member
that's how I keep it nice and simple with just a touch of gel and hairspray.
Then you're already doing well. However, consider switching to a non-alcohol gel or paste with a matte or semi-matte finish. This can help reduce the appearance of thinning.

Canadian

I use this gel that I get at the barber (it's actually a high end salon, every time I walk out, I'm about eighty dollars lighter) but I've also been using Brylcreem.

When the guy there asks how I want it, I bring in my favorite picture of Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl. Sort of parted and back fairly long on top (not like the end of the series, where he has a quiff) and reasonable on the sides. If I'm in a saucy mood, I bring in a picture of Don Draper.

Tom

Jovan

Honors Member
or how about a gel that doesn't make hair stiff like a board?
That's why you'd get paste. As to your other question, you'd have to ask whoever styled JFK. Evidently he had his hair carefully blow dried into place every morning. But I don't think that's a good idea if you're concerned about thinning.

Last edited:

Howard

Connoisseur
That's why you'd get paste. As to your other question, you'd have to ask whoever styled JFK. Evidently he had his hair carefully blow dried into place every morning. But I don't think that's a good idea if you're concerned about thinning.

Do they sell paste at supermarkets? Does paste make hair stiff?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.