prunenoveggie

San Francisco Bay Area
United States
California
Sebastopol
Apparently the Hanger Project now offers a shoe recrafting service, using Rendenbach soles and heels. According to their site, "Your shoes will be extensively and throughly recrafted by our award-winning cobbler to the SSIA Silver Cup contest standards".

Does anyone have any more information on this? I'm wondering how it would compare to the service at B. Nelson, or any of the shoemakers' in-house recrafting. Prices are currently $160, which doesn't seem to include shipping the shoes to them, and there are a number of add-ons (toe plates, closed-channel stitching, etc.) available. They also offer an option to replace the steel shank with a fiberglass shank...What are the advantages of this?

Here's the link to their blog article about the service. I would love to hear any information and/or insights anyone here might have.

https://www.hangerproject.com/blog/2018/07/13/kirby-allison-recrafting-program/?utm_campaign=2018-07-16+Recrafting+Program

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
I would be very leery!!!

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Why be leery. Don’t they advertise here.

I haven’t used them but Kirby Allison has a good reputation. I’m not saying the price is reasonable but I think it’s legit.

127.72 MHz

Advanced Member
United States
Oregon
Portland
Why be leery. Don’t they advertise here.

I haven’t used them but Kirby Allison has a good reputation. I’m not saying the price is reasonable but I think it’s legit.
Nick Valenti at B. Nelson in NYC has resoled well over a dozen pairs of higher end shoes for me. That, in addition to reheeling and installing toe taps with a super clean close tolerence item on a couple of dozen pairs for me. He sends you pre posted shipping bags or you can print shipping labels from their web site. And I would call their prices reasonable. (Has any of us ever heard anything bad or even indifferent about B. Nelson?)

I send my Aldens back to Alden for soles and I have always been happy with the results. Although one time it took about 3 months to get my shoes back. An aberration?

While I have not heard anything bad about Kirby Allison I will say that his lovely hangers are, in my opinion, quite overpriced. I followed Kirby's links and found their standard recraft/resole is $160.- and their high end service is $225.-.

So, why would anyone want to try someone else? Unless of course, you have a local old school cobbler that you value. (My guy, Patrick, was 70 when he retired a couple of years back.)

I think I am about done with Allen Edmonds, (For other reasons.) but they have done very professional recrafting for me. It has been 5 plus years since I have had AE do any work for me though.

I have read about a few shoe recrafting businesses that send your shoes to Mexico. Does anyone know or does it say on Kirby's site where the shoes are recrafted?

My ten centavos,...

Last edited:

prunenoveggie

San Francisco Bay Area
United States
California
Sebastopol
I have read about a few shoe recrafting businesses that send your shoes to Mexico. Does anyone know or does it say on Kirby's site where the shoes are recrafted?
While I couldn't find where the work is done stated anywhere on the site, they do say that they partnered with a "17-time award-winning, third-generation cobbler" to launch the service, and later state that the shoes are recrafted by "our award-winning cobbler to the SSIA Silver Cup standards, for which he also serves as a judge." It seems like a lot of hype for a cobbler they won't (or possibly can't) name.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
While I couldn't find where the work is done stated anywhere on the site, they do say that they partnered with a "17-time award-winning, third-generation cobbler" to launch the service, and later state that the shoes are recrafted by "our award-winning cobbler to the SSIA Silver Cup standards, for which he also serves as a judge." It seems like a lot of hype for a cobbler they won't (or possibly can't) name.
Sounds very impressive, but what does it all mean?

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
My local guy retired for health reasons and I'm dreading going from $60 USD to what it will cost elsewhere. That being said, since no one local is good as far as I know for full resoles on GYW shoes, I will be going to B.Nelson in the future.

I agree that Hangar Project is overpriced on a lot of their stuff, but frugal people are probably not their target customers.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Yes, but why “leery”. Overpriced and perhaps not a good value, sure. But leery suggests something else.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Yes, but why “leery”. Overpriced and perhaps not a good value, sure. But leery suggests something else.
The thought never crossed my mind to be leery, since I have a generally favorable opinion of him. My only curiosity was how exorbitant it was going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Leery was mentioned in response to the OP. it’s the only reason I brought it up.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts