YennyPenny

Starting Member
Any recommendations for a first hat to keep off the sun? Asian pale/fair skin with oval face. Straight hair. Mostly patterned sports shirt and dark pants in my wardrobe.

I'm not sure if straw hats will look weird with my skin tone. Will cotton flat caps be too hot?

And are these any good?

Last edited:

arkirshner

Honors Member
United States
OH
Toledo
Without your picture, my best guess is that the dark blue, a cool clear color, pictured would be a good color, as well as a bleached white, (not pictured). The last pictured hat is a natural which has too much yellow in it to provide positive contrast to your face.

mhdena

United States
Calif
Los Angeles
Those flat caps are no protection from the sun, you need a straw hat 2 1/2 brim minimum.

Since you mentioned the heat, you probably want something with an open weave around the hat, something like these allow the air to come in providing a nice cooling affect.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
^^ I agree with that. When the heat gets up, go panama if you want protection with style. If all you want is protection, then probably a Tilley is your best bet but they're a little disheveled, even when new. I only wear a straw flat cap when I won't be out in the sun longer than from the car to the restaurant. Of course, I don't play golf so that does make my opinion possibly suspect.

YennyPenny

Starting Member
Wow, this is the first time I have heard of a panama hat. Seems pretty cool that you can roll it and keep it with you. Guess I was looking in the wrong direction the entire time.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
During the warmer months of the year, it's either a cotton poplin Tilley Endurable or a or a Stetson Temple design made of woven plant fibers...leaves, stems(?); your guess is as good as mine! ;)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts