Heavy Wool Trousers

Elwood_P_Dowd

Starting Member
Apologies if this is addressed somewhere, I didn't see what I'm looking for exactly but I am new to the search. In fact I'm a neophyte to this in general so I'm sure I will stumble all over this question.

I'm a far bigger fan of the look, feel and cut of much older trousers/pants. I do not like the way modern pants are made to ride lower. I much prefer the high or natural waist. The heavier wool also drapes(?) much nicer IMO. I'm also a big fan of pleats, American style (Outward I believe?).
My question, is it possible to find a close approximation of classic pants these days?
Does anyone sell 12 or 14 oz wool trousers or the higher waist or should I just have them made? Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be? (I usually do)

Thanks for any advice.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
Apologies if this is addressed somewhere, I didn't see what I'm looking for exactly but I am new to the search. In fact I'm a neophyte to this in general so I'm sure I will stumble all over this question.

I'm a far bigger fan of the look, feel and cut of much older trousers/pants. I do not like the way modern pants are made to ride lower. I much prefer the high or natural waist. The heavier wool also drapes(?) much nicer IMO. I'm also a big fan of pleats, American style (Outward I believe?).
My question, is it possible to find a close approximation of classic pants these days?
Does anyone sell 12 or 14 oz wool trousers or the higher waist or should I just have them made? Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be? (I usually do)

Thanks for any advice.
http://www.pakeman.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=5693

http://www.pakeman.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=0451

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
Ben Silver generally cuts their trousers in a classic style, complete with inward/forward pleats. I don't know what they've got this year, but I've gotten some very substantial-weight trousers from them in the past.

Elwood_P_Dowd

Starting Member
Thank you fellas. I will dive into both of these directly.

Oh, and I forgot say: "Gooood eeeevening, Mister Dowd."
Good evening 'PJC in NoVa'. If NoVa stands for what I know it to be (Norther VA) we are neighbors. Perhaps you'd like to join my friend and I for a drink at Charlie's later. Here's my card. :icon_smile:

Jiddle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Tennessee
Germantown
I have had Hickey make me a pair of trousers from their overcoat fabric. Check with your Hickey and Samuelsohn retailer to look at the style books and swatches. Just because the swatch is listed as "Sportcoat" or "Overcoat," it doesn't mean that you can't have a pair of trousers made from the fabric. The only difficulty with the very heavy fabric is the inability to retain a significant crease. But it doesn't concern me.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
Thank you fellas. I will dive into both of these directly.

Good evening 'PJC in NoVa'. If NoVa stands for what I know it to be (Norther VA) we are neighbors. Perhaps you'd like to join my friend and I for a drink at Charlie's later. Here's my card. :icon_smile:
Now don't get me wrong, I think the world of him and all, but I'm afraid he's been mixing his beer and his gin, and may need conveying.

mikeber

United States
NY
NY
I visited Polo's mansion in Manhattan and noticed some heavy wool pants on sale. They were very nice, still expensive though.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Polo has heavy wool trousers (flannel and cavalry twill) with a high rise, but they have the more traditional forward pleats. Forward pleats usually go along with the higher rise, both of which aren't very common anymore.

mikeber

United States
NY
NY
What I saw at Polo were different models. One was made of tweed and cut without pleats (flat front).