John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
So I am 5'9" and I usually have a 30" inseam. When my khakis or jeans rest on my sneakers, it seems as though it's too long. I've thought of going down to a 29" but I feel as though an odd inseam might seem well... odd. So would 29" or 28" work for me? Because with 30" I have had to cuff a bit.

I know I am making a lot of threads to start but I am sort of a n00b to looking good.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
If your pants are too long, buy shorter pants! :thumbs-up:

There are different preferences for where the hem or cuffs should rest, but on khakis or jeans most seem to prefer to have them just touching your shoes, and I'm alright with that.

Inseam and height really don't have much to do with each other, and you will also find that different pairs of pants with indentical inseams will often fall very differently at the hem based upon how the pants fit. And don't forget if your fussy, you can always have jeans or khakis that are too long altered to shorten the leg, and it shouldn't cost a fortune.

fishertw

Advanced Member
John,
Ive found that as I've aged and added some weight, my inseams are getting shorter. I was once a 33-34 length at the age of around 30 when I weighed around 140. Now, at the age of 70, and tipping the scale at a robust 195, I find that a 31 inseam frequently seems long.
Just an observation.

Matt S

Connoisseur
The width of the trouser legs also affects the inseam length. As legs have become narrower, the inseam needs to be shorter for the same break.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
So I am 5'9" and I usually have a 30" inseam. When my khakis or jeans rest on my sneakers, it seems as though it's too long. I've thought of going down to a 29" but I feel as though an odd inseam might seem well... odd. So would 29" or 28" work for me? Because with 30" I have had to cuff a bit.
1. There is nothing "odd" about an odd-numbered inseam. The Rulebook of Human Anatomy does not require everyone to have an even-numbered inseam. Your inseam is whatever it is, and whatever it is--odd or even--is OK.

2. Would it be possible for you to post at least two full-length photos of yourself, one in which you are wearing jeans with a 30-inch inseam, and khakis with a 30-inch inseam in the other? It seems as if 29 inches may be right for you, but without seeing you wearing the pants in question, I can't be sure.

3. As Flanderian pointed out, different pants may call for different inseams, based on how they are designed. Don't be surprised if you need a 29-inch inseam on your jeans, but a 28-inch or 28.5-inch inseam on your khakis.

harmelba

I find that I used to not pay as much attention to break. Now that I do, I find that I need a 28.5 to 29 inseam when I used to buy 30 and have puddling at the ankles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Matt S

Connoisseur
1. There is nothing "odd" about an odd-numbered inseam. The Rulebook of Human Anatomy does not require everyone to have an even-numbered inseam. Your inseam is whatever it is, and whatever it is--odd or even--is OK.

2. Would it be possible for you to post at least two full-length photos of yourself, one in which you are wearing jeans with a 30-inch inseam, and khakis with a 30-inch inseam in the other? It seems as if 29 inches may be right for you, but without seeing you wearing the pants in question, I can't be sure.

3. As Flanderian pointed out, different pants may call for different inseams, based on how they are designed. Don't be surprised if you need a 29-inch inseam on your jeans, but a 28-inch or 28.5-inch inseam on your khakis.
Excellent advice. Inseam should be measured to the quarter-inch, and it should be measured separated for every pair of non-identical trousers. Even trousers from the same brand may be cut differently and require different inseam lengths.

paul winston

Advertiser
In today's world, 5'9" is short. ( I am about 5'8 1/2"). People who are short should never have trousers that are too long. Individuals who are tall should never have trousers that are too short. It is important to try trousers on and have then adjusted to the proper length. Manufacturers "sizes" can vary from one maker to another and from one trouser to another from the same manufacturer.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

ilikeyourstyle

Interesting, I may be missing something. In what sense?

I had in mind that there are taller men with comparatively short inseams, and shorter ones with longer legs.
Yes, there will be individual variance within the population. We cannot calculate inseam as a function of height, but if we graphed average men's heights and average men's inseams then we would see inseams increase as heights increased. It is going to be far more common that a man with a 36 inch inseam is over 6' tall than under 6' tall, and it is going to be far more common that a man with a 29 inch inseam is going to be under 6' tall than above that height.

culverwood

Yes, there will be individual variance within the population. We cannot calculate inseam as a function of height, but if we graphed average men's heights and average men's inseams then we would see inseams increase as heights increased. It is going to be far more common that a man with a 36 inch inseam is over 6' tall than under 6' tall, and it is going to be far more common that a man with a 29 inch inseam is going to be under 6' tall than above that height.
But the correlation is not so close that you can say a man of height x will have an inseam of y.

alkydrinker

I find this topic interesting because, as noted earlier in the thread, while there is a relationship between height and inseam, there are also some interestingly wide variances depending on build.

I'm 6'2'' and, on average, about a 31.5" inseam provides a whispering break.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The opening post question made me think of "This is Spinal Tap" and the amp going to 11.

I'm 6' 1" with a 29 inseam.
I'm 6'1" and have about a 33" inseam. You must have one long torso. Also, I don't know about a 29" inseam, but almost all OTR pants are either 32" or 34" inseam which means they never really are right for me (unless a particular model is cut a bit long or short) - :fool:
SaveSave

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
In today's world, 5'9" is short. ( I am about 5'8 1/2"). People who are short should never have trousers that are too long. Individuals who are tall should never have trousers that are too short. It is important to try trousers on and have then adjusted to the proper length. Manufacturers "sizes" can vary from one maker to another and from one trouser to another from the same manufacturer.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com
⇧ All very good fit advice.

Ten or twenty years ago, I would have disagreed with you about 5'9" being short as, at 6'1", I used to be very tall, but over the last few decades, the Millennials have grown up and they are such a tall generation that they've shifted the scale.

I'd say I'm now "normal" to "modestly tall" as I regularly see Millennial men several inches taller than I. Even the women of that generation are taller as I almost never look eyeball to eyeball with a woman of my generation, but do so regularly with Millennial women.

mhj

I find that I get a different break depending on the shoes that I'm wearing with a particular pair of trousers. Very maddening.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Yup, just God's way of having a little fun with us. In my heaven, my pants' break automatically adjust to the shoes I am wearing.
Hearing that statement always puts me in mind of the line said by the cartoonist Nicole Hollander's character Sylvia, who stated, "My weight is always perfect for my height, which varies."

More seriously, however, many things can affect proper trouser length - the height of the crotch drop, whether the trousers are flat-front or pleated, and the amount of taper of the legs come to mind immediately. That, in combination with differences in patterns from manufacturer to manufacturer, can affect optimal trouser length.

winghus

Yes I do indeed have a long torso. As for odd sizing, if I buy hemmed trousers I buy the longest length available and have them hemmed if they don't offer a length that is correct. That way I can usually get cuffs out of the extra length.

The opening post question made me think of "This is Spinal Tap" and the amp going to 11.

I'm 6'1" and have about a 33" inseam. You must have one long torso. Also, I don't know about a 29" inseam, but almost all OTR pants are either 32" or 34" inseam which means they never really are right for me (unless a particular model is cut a bit long or short) - :fool:
SaveSave

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.