*help* I messed up my shoes!

cokewithvanilla

Starting Member
United States
TN
Nashville
I have a pair of alden shoes that I have managed to remove the finish from. It all started when I tried a new leather conditioner, and the shoes water spotted. In trying to clean the water spots, I used a new cleaner, which removed that portion of the finish. Using Saphir, turned it all dark in that one spot... so I got out the saddle soap and soaped down the whole shoe until they were raw leather. let them dry, applied saphir, many layers until they would finally take shine... well.. now they look blotchy and one of the top caps is an entirely different color than the other..... is there any saving these?

TimF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York City
So what? Apply whatever color of polish you'd prefer. What separates leather from plastic is that leather is a living material. So it won't stay the same color or texture as it is worn in. If you don't like the feature then get fake leather shoes.

TDWat

United States
Virginia
Central
I don't think they look too bad. It'll be much less noticeable from eye level when you're wearing them. You could pay to have them professionally redyed, but I don't know if that's necessary. Cream polish tends to soak in a bit more, so you could try coloring them that way. A higher shine on the toe cap may also help obscure the difference in color there.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
*chuckles softly to self*

That is an impressively long list of products that you have inflicted upon those poor boots.

Do not fret, however, blotchy is patination. Calf leather demands you meddle less and enjoy more.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Sorry...,I’m not seeing an issue here. The boots look fine. Just wear them.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I actually prefer the character they are assuming. Just polish them regularly and they’ll look fine.
The best advice to be offered, in this present instance. Good luck in your quest for the perfect shine! ;)

challer

United States
Virginia
Alexandria
Not ruined. Don't use saddle soap on dress shoes. Whenever you strip shoes they look just like yours do. Couple layers of saphir cream and your good to go. I tend to wear my shoes hard, often in the country or at the range. I strip some pair at least annually. It doesn't hurt the leather.