*help* I messed up my shoes!

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by cokewithvanilla, Feb 13, 2019.

1. cokewithvanilla

cokewithvanilla Starting Member

United States
    TN
    Nashville
    I have a pair of alden shoes that I have managed to remove the finish from. It all started when I tried a new leather conditioner, and the shoes water spotted. In trying to clean the water spots, I used a new cleaner, which removed that portion of the finish. Using Saphir, turned it all dark in that one spot... so I got out the saddle soap and soaped down the whole shoe until they were raw leather. let them dry, applied saphir, many layers until they would finally take shine... well.. now they look blotchy and one of the top caps is an entirely different color than the other..... is there any saving these? [​IMG]

2. cokewithvanilla

cokewithvanilla Starting Member

United States
    TN
    Nashville
  3. TimF

TimF Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York City
    So what? Apply whatever color of polish you'd prefer. What separates leather from plastic is that leather is a living material. So it won't stay the same color or texture as it is worn in. If you don't like the feature then get fake leather shoes.

TKI67 likes this.
  4. TDWat

TDWat Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    Central
    I don't think they look too bad. It'll be much less noticeable from eye level when you're wearing them. You could pay to have them professionally redyed, but I don't know if that's necessary. Cream polish tends to soak in a bit more, so you could try coloring them that way. A higher shine on the toe cap may also help obscure the difference in color there.

5. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    *chuckles softly to self*

That is an impressively long list of products that you have inflicted upon those poor boots.

Do not fret, however, blotchy is patination. Calf leather demands you meddle less and enjoy more.

eagle2250 likes this.
  6. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
  7. frankmartin

frankmartin New Member

United States
    Georgia
    Suwanee
    I also prefer the way they are now compared to when they were new.

8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Sorry...,I’m not seeing an issue here. The boots look fine. Just wear them.

9. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    The best advice to be offered, in this present instance. Good luck in your quest for the perfect shine! ;)

10. challer

challer Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    Alexandria
    Not ruined. Don't use saddle soap on dress shoes. Whenever you strip shoes they look just like yours do. Couple layers of saphir cream and your good to go. I tend to wear my shoes hard, often in the country or at the range. I strip some pair at least annually. It doesn't hurt the leather.