never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
My firm just announced a change to its dress code, allowing "upscale casual" as they've deemed it. While I'll keep wearing my wool trousers and sport coats regularly, I'd like to ask for some advice on how to dress sharply in a slightly more casual way. While jeans are allowed, I don't want to go there. I am not a huge fan of polos personally. I know the easy way is to hit up BB or O'Connell's for some chinos and other dress cotton trousers. I liked my first moleskin trousers I bought last winter, so I'll probably buy another pair or two.

I know I can just keep dressing as I am, but I think it would be good to mix in some more casual elements every so often. I know these are basic newbie questions. I finally felt I knew what I was doing, and they changed the rules! I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

1. Can I wear my wool navy blazers (serge, hopsack, doeskin) with cotton trousers? Does the same apply to my other wool sport coats?
2. For warmer weather, I assume the best way to go would be to introduce linen into the mix (whether blends or 100%) in trousers and jackets. As well as maybe a seersucker jacket? I am assuming that those would pair well with cotton trousers.
3. For winter I love flannel trousers, so I'll keep wearing and buying those (as well as adding a second pair of wool cav twills). In addition to the moleskin, I'm wondering if the next casual step would be cotton corduroy trousers? I know *nothing* about corduroy save the little I've just read about. For a (relatively) conservative accounting firm, what wale would be most appropriate? And do tweed jackets work with these?

Finally, colors. I suck at coordinating so I've basically stuck to mostly greys for wool trousers and tan/browns for cotton/casual. My jackets are mostly navy with a blue and a grey (not counting the tweeds). I'll probably buy tan/khaki range on the chinos and moleskin (my first pair was a green/brown on the board's rec'd). What is basic color for corduroy? Or what should I think about given my jackets (my tweeds are a grey herringbone and brown; plan on buying a green this fall).

Apologies for the novel.

FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
1. Can I wear my wool navy blazers (serge, hopsack, doeskin) with cotton trousers? Does the same apply to my other wool sport coats?

IMHO, a lot depends on the weight of the blazer, I'd wear cotton pants with a hopsack blazer or a lighter weight wool blazer. I usually think of doeskin as a winter fabric, so I'd stick with wool with doeskin. You may want to consider tropical weight wool.

2. For warmer weather, I assume the best way to go would be to introduce linen into the mix (whether blends or 100%) in trousers and jackets. As well as maybe a seersucker jacket? I am assuming that those would pair well with cotton trousers.

Seersucker with cotton pants is a good combination.

3. For winter I love flannel trousers, so I'll keep wearing and buying those (as well as adding a second pair of wool cav twills). In addition to the moleskin, I'm wondering if the next casual step would be cotton corduroy trousers? I know *nothing* about corduroy save the little I've just read about. For a (relatively) conservative accounting firm, what wale would be most appropriate? And do tweed jackets work with these?

A lot of men wear cords with tweeds, I prefer wearing flannels with tweeds. It's really a matter of personal preference. I would look for a 10 - 12 wale pant.

Finally, colors. I suck at coordinating so I've basically stuck to mostly greys for wool trousers and tan/browns for cotton/casual. My jackets are mostly navy with a blue and a grey (not counting the tweeds). I'll probably buy tan/khaki range on the chinos and moleskin (my first pair was a green/brown on the board's rec'd). What is basic color for corduroy? Or what should I think about given my jackets (my tweeds are a grey herringbone and brown; plan on buying a green this fall).

Various shades of grey and brown would work. While navy pants don't get a lot of love around here, I find navy to be a nice change of pace with grey.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
I'll make this simple. Is the average guy wearing pleated baggy dockers, an ill fitting polo or dress shirt, and black square toed slip ons?

If so, wear what you like. Just caring how you look means you'll be so much above the masses that nobody will question.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
It sounds like you know exactly what you're doing already.

You could buy some safari/field jackets to use in place of a sports coat at times. Shawl collar cardigans for winter.

Hearing "upscale casual" and "(relatively) conservative accounting firm " causes an error in my brain though.

Isn't that inherently contradictory?

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
It sounds like you know exactly what you're doing already.

You could buy some safari/field jackets to use in place of a sports coat at times. Shawl collar cardigans for winter.

Hearing "upscale casual" and "(relatively) conservative accounting firm " causes an error in my brain though.

Isn't that inherently contradictory?
Probably. The partners are still very conservative at heart. They are only changing to try and attract/keep young talent. Talking to the Boomers, they are having a hard time with this. It was maybe 1.5 years ago they allowed cotton pants/jeans on Fridays.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
I'll make this simple. Is the average guy wearing pleated baggy dockers, an ill fitting polo or dress shirt, and black square toed slip ons?

If so, wear what you like. Just caring how you look means you'll be so much above the masses that nobody will question.
There is a lot of that but I want to make AAAC proud. :)

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Why not just keep wearing what you’re wearing. No use stressing over things If it’s not necessary.
Part of me just wants to buy some items that I’ve never had a “use” for at this point. I’m not going to make a sea change but want to start adding new pieces like corduroy or linens.

MattB83

Starting Member
United States
Pennsylvania
Pennsburg
Part of me just wants to buy some items that I’ve never had a “use” for at this point. I’m not going to make a sea change but want to start adding new pieces like corduroy or linens.
You aren’t going to be sorry about buying some linen garments. It’s like wearing a cloud.

So I would use this as a great excuse to broaden your wardrobe a bit.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts