chrstc

Inactive user
UK
Essex
Leigh
For dress socks, I like the long (OTC) wool-blend socks from PCC. Made in England
Hello,
Thanks for jogging by memory PJC-the English Pakeman's are Pantherellas and the Welsh ones are Corgis so I agree that they're another good source for both brands.

Chris.

Penang Lawyer

Go to Dege & Skinner # 10 Savile Row their socks are grest. Run about $40 or so. They were getting them from France and are 100 % wool. Also contact Corgi they an located in England.

catside

United States
CT
New Haven
I picked up two thermal socks from M&S in 1981. Still like a rock.

MikeDT

I'd dismiss the first 4 out of hand and probably give Topman and Burton a miss unless they do several ranges which vary in quality. An independent gentlemen's outfitter will carry your more traditional style, longer (over calf) sock whereas larger stores will generally only supply mass manufactured, shorter socks with a higher proportion of man-made fibres.
I've usually found cotton/natural fibre socks from Asda and Sainsburys to be OK. Bought a load before coming to China, they're still holding up just fine, no holes yet. Although since coming to northern China, I've taken to wearing thermal socks, obtained locally.

cbird

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Orvis has some very durable woolen socks (I think they call them the "Forever" sock, or something like that). Smartwool has a website, and they offer an extensive catalogue of types and thicknesses of woolen socks.

sclemmons

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Arkansas
Little Rock
Pantherella cotton lisle over the calf with patterns to make them easy to mate. These are my favorite. Machine wash and hang to dry. Mr.Kabbaz carries them. Sierra Trading Post has them occasionally. Mr. Wicks and Bauman's in Little Rock have them, and I would try to get one of those "buy 5 get one free" deals. They come in boxes of 6 pair I think.

Last edited:

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
Although you can't always find interesting patterns or colors, by far the most comfortable OTC wool socks I've ever owned have been Falkes. Falke has a very wide/long elasticized segment at the top, which means that they don't have to be as tight, yet will not fall down. If, like me, you are stout-legged, they are a godsend.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I need long lasting socks made of a natural fabric so not man made. An embarassing event involving a woman led to me having to buy new socks as all my pairs are ruined. Can anyone suggest a good UK sock maker? It's important that they are long lasting.

Also I need to be able to order online. I need new socks ASAP. Please don't ask, it's very embarassing.

Also for the colours it's pretty simple, plain black, blue, or red.
It would probably be wise to describe your signet ring so that suitable hosiery matches can be recommended.

DH

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts