aguzzi94

Starting Member
Italy
PU
Fano
See Notes from AAAC
MESSAGE FROM AAAC: This thread is from an app developer looking for feedback from our Ask Andy Community. We have removed the name of the mobile app for non-advertising reasons.

However, we believe that our Ask Andy Community has expertise not available anywhere else on the internet, and the information provided here can help everyone. As such, we would like to encourage our members to provide any advice or expertise they would like to share.
Hey everybody!

My name is Federico, I'm from Italy and I'm the co-founder of [a mobile app company].

Our mobile app is a personal fashion assistant app that helps people dress their best and save a lot of time.

A little bit about me:

The fashion DNA runs in my Italian blood and family for generations.

I love to dress well but hate spending time in front of my wardrobe, therefore, for me, deciding what to wear and buy was always a major pain point.

So I made it my mission to empower people that are in my same situation everyday to feel confident in what they wear and buy.

Me and my co-founder have been working our socks off to make this a reality.
Pun intended.

I'm opening a thread here because I would like to open up a discussion with you, about how you gentlemen go through the process of deciding how to dress and about your shopping decisions, and about what you would want to see in an app that helps people do just that.

I'm turning to your wisdom and knowledge about fashion in hope that your insights will become a major key in shaping the future of our app and company.

So gentlemen, it's up to you to share your opinions with us.

We will be grateful for every single one of them and will think of ways to give back to you in the near future.

Here are some questions for you:

- What is the hardest part about deciding what to wear everyday?
- What is the hardest part about deciding what clothes to buy?
- How frequent are these problems for you?
- Have you tried apps or other tech in the past that act as a virtual fashion assistant?
- If yes, what do you think of them? Where they helpful?
- What would an app that really does help you in your personal style decisions do?

Thank you very much in advance.
I hope to open up an interesting discussion together :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CLTesquire

United States
NC
Waxhaw
I would imagine that many folks struggle mixing patterns and colors (i.e. can I wear this shirt with this jacket, does this tie work with this suit/jacket, etc.). That's really the only aspect that gives me any pause these days.

In my personal life, I usually choose one item that I really want to wear that day (it might be a shirt, tie, jacket, or suit for instance...just depends on the day) and then I create something around that. It would be neat to see an app that cataloged your wardrobe, allowed you to select one item in that wardrobe, and then built suggested outfits around that item.

My first inclination to your question about the use of other apps was to quickly say no, but that's not really true. I think many on here look at Instagram. I know there are several threads that are pulling pics from IG as examples of things (tweed, non tweed jackets, Japanese shoes, etc.) and, the more I thought about, I do get some pretty good ideas and pairings from other people posting on Instagram. So, I guess I use IG somewhat for that.

aguzzi94

Starting Member
Italy
PU
Fano
Thank you for your response.
The product we built tries to solve exactly the problem you mentioned, in that it chooses for the user which outfit to wear every day and for any specific occasion and gives him/her personalized suggestions about what clothes to buy that would also match perfectly with his/her existing wardrobe.

The outfit generation is strictly based on mixing the right colors and choosing the right clothes for the particular occasion, weather and season and of course, some of our Italian fashion taste.

So what you said makes us happy since it means we're heading in the right direction.

We haven't thought about starting the creation of an outfit from one particular item... that is a great idea!
Right now our app does catalog the user's wardrobe and generates outfits using the user's clothes, and the option to select one item and building an outfit from there could be a great addition, I will discuss it with my co-founder for sure.
Thank you!

About the IG insight, that's true, I do it as well. This makes me think that it could be a great place to find people that would love our product.

Again, thank you very much for your time and thoughts.

Don't hesitate to add more if something comes to mind :)

Cheers!

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I realize that my responses are not what you're hoping for, and might appear sarcastic. And while I enjoy sarcastic humor, these are my actual opinions. My hope is that since they're vastly different from the assumptions underlying your questions, they may prove useful in formulating your views.

"- What is the hardest part about deciding what to wear everyday?"

Nothing. Dressing is a creative act and a pleasure.

"- What is the hardest part about deciding what clothes to buy?"

Spending the money.

"- How frequent are these problems for you?"

Frequently, I buy too many clothes because I enjoy doing so.

"- Have you tried apps or other tech in the past that act as a virtual fashion assistant?"

No, I've learned to dress myself. I enjoy the process of visualizing various options in my mind before arriving at what I feel I'll best enjoy.

"- If yes, what do you think of them? Where they helpful?"

N/A

"- What would an app that really does help you in your personal style decisions do?"

I'm sorry but for me, I don't see any role for it.

aguzzi94

Starting Member
Italy
PU
Fano
Hey Flanderian!
Thank you for taking the time to formulate your response.

There a no right or wrong answers, and actually yours is very valuable.

"I enjoy the process of visualizing various options in my mind before arriving at what I feel I'll best enjoy."

Our app lets you upload your clothes, so that you always remember what you have in your closet, and lets you create as many different combinations as you want manually ( option that's perfect for fashion experts) and save them. In this way you can:
- visualize different options not only in your mind, but on your phone as well
- save your favorite ones in order to wear them for that meeting, or Saturday party, or birthday.

Is that something that you would enjoy?

Our mission is to assist any person that wants to dress well and look good, from the person that doesn't want to spend any time on it and/or has no knowledge or expertise on fashion, to the person that is very knowledgeable and loves thinking about clothes and personal style.

Have a great day and again thank you

Federico

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I do admire your searching for a solution, but for me, it seems to be a lot of trouble and quite frankly, something I’m unlikely to use.

Of course, I may not be your target audience. It seems to me that most younger people are influenced by the culture in general and as they grow up, sort of learn along the way. I think a resource for general guidelines and rules would be more valuable.

Also, anyone with wardrobe varied enough is likely already possessed of his own sense of style and has some ability to visualize what he is going to wear and how it will look in his minds eye; like an artist who visualizes the completes canvas.

aguzzi94

Starting Member
Italy
PU
Fano
Hey SG_67!
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, probably our target audience aren't people who have a great sense of style, even if our app can help them a lot for visualizing their clothes.
Also for trying different combinations while they're not at home.

There are apps in the market that have millions of downloads and that do similar things to what our app does. We do it better and with much more to offer too, so we're confident.

But having insights from people that are passionate about fashion and have expertise is always great for us.

Thank you again and have a nice day.

Federico

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Hey SG_67!
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, probably our target audience aren't people who have a great sense of style, even if our app can help them a lot for visualizing their clothes.
Also for trying different combinations while they're not at home.

There are apps in the market that have millions of downloads and that do similar things to what our app does. We do it better and with much more to offer too, so we're confident.

But having insights from people that are passionate about fashion and have expertise is always great for us.

Thank you again and have a nice day.

Federico
Thank you. I’m not passionate about fashion. I just want to look presentable. I’m not an expert by any means except in knowing myself and my tastes.

I do wish you well but I doubt I would be one to be interested in something like this.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
In the hope that the data assists you...

Question 1: This time of year, the weather. Trying to balance style with comfort where it is often over 90 degrees in the summer is a challenge. Fall and winter are much easier.

Question 2: Funds and fit. New clothes can be expensive, and finding clothes that fit properly requires expertise.

Question 3: Daily

Question 4: No

Question 5: NA

Question 6: It took me years to develop my style sense, starting in the late ‘70s, and it has reached maturity. An app might be more helpful for one just starting on their journey who has no skilled style
Mentor. It takes study, the development of a skilled eye, and the acceptance of some code dictating what is correct dress.

Cheers,

BSR

aguzzi94

Starting Member
Italy
PU
Fano
Hey Mr.B.Scott!
Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Our app does create combinations based on the weather and season as well, so glad we're glad to hear that's a pain point.

About your answer to question 6, yes it's totally true.
Our goal is to help both the novice and the expert.

The novice can try on the outfit generated by out artificial intelligence ,trust its decision and learn from it, while the expert can take advantage of our app to remember what clothes he/she has in the closet while not at home (for example while shopping), and to visualize his/her combinations on the phone, without doing it mentally or having to take the clothes out of the closet.

Thank you!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts