Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
I don't really have much to add to the above esteemed colleagues. I'm retired and spend most days at home in my garden, kitchen or shop. That means I wear whatever is comfortable for the tasks at hand in the temperature that occurs. The only times I take any thought/time about what I'm going to wear is Saturday night before church or when I have a meeting or a date in town. Then I pretty much follow Flanderian's procedure. Choose one garment and then using my art degree and experience, figure out what goes with it. If your app held a catalog of a young man's closet and then could suggest a series of suitable combinations, the chap just starting out could use it as a learning tool to help develop his own personal tastes/style. How much use it might be to an experienced dresser is questionable. I, for one, am pretty much set in my ways and unlikely to venture out of them.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Then I pretty much follow Flanderian's procedure. Choose one garment and then using my art degree and experience, figure out what goes with it.
Thank you for the mention, but I believe it was CLTesquire who espoused it here. But, yes, it's what I do too. (Absent the art degree! ;) )

mlenecare

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
illinois
lemont
What is the hardest part about deciding what to wear everyday?
- Balancing the different things I have planned that day so that I don't have to change clothes.
What is the hardest part about deciding what clothes to buy?
- Determining if the cost of an Item is justifiably based on the amount of wear an item will receive.
How frequent are these problems for you?
- Most of my high cost purchases are planned out months in advance. I spend a lot of time deciding on which Item I want before I consider buying anything. For lower cost things such as accessories I have a mental list of the types of things I am looking for and when I see them I pounce.
Have you tried apps or other tech in the past that act as a virtual fashion assistant?
- No
If yes, what do you think of them? Where they helpful?
- N/A
What would an app that really does help you in your personal style decisions do?
- I would like to see items that are for sale online in different lighting conditions.
- If I could virtually see how something would fit my body that would be pretty cool.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
For me sometimes I forget what I have. Anyhow I think an app that uses AI could be useful. So if you inventory all your clothes and then you take a picture of say one item you want to wear that day the app then would immediately give you combinations of your current wardrobe that might work best with it. Sometimes I dress that way - for example I pull out a pair of grey shoes. And then perhaps you add that you want to wear a suit. Suddenly you get a bunch of choices for what you may be able to wear. The biggest problem for entry is who wants to take the time to inventory all of their clothes? Not a bad idea - practicality may get in the way...

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
Trying to decide what to wear can be a bit difficult sometimes as I like to color coordinate myself, I decide the night before.

And I think it's the money and different colors that make me decide on what to buy. I try look for inexpensiveness, I just don't want to spend a fortune on clothes.

3piece

United States
CA
Irvine
- What is the hardest part about deciding what to wear everyday?
Whether I should wear a jacket or not when it's hot and humid

- What is the hardest part about deciding what clothes to buy?
I know what to buy. The trouble is finding the brand which makes my fit and style (which lean toward classic more than toward modern one).

- How frequent are these problems for you?
MTM has solved my problem mostly. I don't shop off-the-rack much so, no frequent at all.

- Have you tried apps or other tech in the past that act as a virtual fashion assistant?
No

- What would an app that really does help you in your personal style decisions do?
One where I could easily input all clothings I have and put together every possible good outfit.
One which recommend things to buy based on my criteria such as: classic fit, mostly natural fabric, certain sizes/ measurements, and how the new clothing will fit with my existing.

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
Here are some questions for you:

- What is the hardest part about deciding what to wear everyday?
Everyday wear? Nothing. I literally fold my day to day clothes coming out of the drier and put them in piles. Each morning I take what's on top of the pile. My only choice is whether I'll be golfing so I make sure I get chinos and not jeans.

I only think about fashion when I'm going out, to a place where my suits are appropriate. In my life this means a few nights a month. Then, the hardest part was done a long time ago when I sat down with my tailor and worked out a good suit style that fits well. After that, you can't really go wrong, anything you pull off the hangar will look good.

I guess there are decisions. But it isn't anything more than what shirt, tie, and square. Any time you put on a suit you just pick a tie based on your whims and where you're going. Same with a shirt, sometimes I want texture, sometimes I want plain, but it's all formality and whimsy.

Pocket squares you hold up next to the shirt and tie and decide how wild or mild you're feeling.

This all takes like 5 minutes. There's nothing hard about it. It's simple and fun.

- What is the hardest part about deciding what clothes to buy?
Finding something that fits. For daily wear, I stick to brands that have worked, buy in bulk, and cry when the company stops making the weird item that fit me.

For suiting and dress shirts, it's all custom made. I have a 19.25" neck, but I'm only 5'9". I literally cannot buy anything that fits off the rack. The hard decisions are always fabric and color for my shirts. There are so many choices and a man only needs so many shirts.

- How frequent are these problems for you?
For day to day clothing, I have to find a new t-shirt vendor every couple of years. I've been with the current denim vendor for 2 years, and the last pair I bought were unchanged from current stock, so maybe I get 2 more years out of them before they screw things up or drop quality.

Dress shirts? I loaded up last year. From here out I expect to, maybe, buy some every couple of years.

- Have you tried apps or other tech in the past that act as a virtual fashion assistant?
No. I literally cannot imagine how this would help me.

I am genuinely interested to see if you come up with something that is of benefit. I appreciate that kind of creative thought.

- If yes, what do you think of them? Where they helpful?
N/A
- What would an app that really does help you in your personal style decisions do?
I dunno. Fold the clothes and put them in the piles for me?

I don't really understand what you're looking to do. The only time decisions about clothing are difficult is when you need to choose from fabric samples for your next suit.

The only decision is whether the tie and square are OK together. Or with a shirt. Make sure stuff doesn't clash in a bad way and you're golden, but is that really technology and innovation? I mean, I had garanimals as a kid. This is nothing new, and a cell phone isn't really needed to tell me not to mix a lion and a zebra or whatever. It's really just the sort of thing you learn by doing and maybe getting feedback from peers.

Maybe a color wheel might let you know that... I dunno, red, blue and yellow are a thing, or red is next to orange, or whatever... I don't know why an app is needed for that. Maybe you have a creative way of making that more useful than just looking at a color wheel. Catalog my ties and squares and automagically rate each pair on how far they vary from ideal complimentary, split, or triadic harmony? Seems like a lot of work on my part and in the end a lot less fun than shoving a hanky in the pocket of my coat and then deciding whether it looks ridiculous or not, but maybe someone with an engineering mindset might enjoy that.

Thank you very much in advance.
I hope to open up an interesting discussion together :)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts