sartorial_1

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Sometimes I need to wear my belt on the third hole and sometimes I need to wear my belt on the fourth hole based on several factors like if I've been working out.

Unfortunately when I wear my belt on the fourth hole creases in the leather show through the buckle from when I wear the belt on the third hole.

Does anyone else here have this problem? How do you avoid this problem?

chatsworth osborne jr.

Really, nobody is looking that closely

If you wear the belt so loosely that it is held up by the belt loops, that might help.

I fail to see the problem. Everyone's waistline varies a bit, and leather will not look unused unless you avoid using it.

I have a casual belt that's almost 20 years old now. It has rings like a tree. It adds character.

speedster

Sometimes I need to wear my belt on the third hole and sometimes I need to wear my belt on the fourth hole based on several factors like if I've been working out.

Unfortunately when I wear my belt on the fourth hole creases in the leather show through the buckle from when I wear the belt on the third hole.

Does anyone else here have this problem? How do you avoid this problem?
MORE belts, same as with shoe rotation. the more you have the lesser the marks ;)
You could of course go for braces, and negate the problem all together ...

Cary Grant

More belts, yes, or better belts. I've a Tumi that I've worn across three sizes with little visual wear.

Blueboy1938

Advanced Member
United States
California
West Hollywood
Size matters!

Get belts in every increment that you might wear. Then you can wear the precisely calibrated belt for however your girth (or the trouser fabric thickness) requires. That way you will never have an errant crease:icon_smile_wink:

sartorial_1

Get belts in every increment that you might wear. Then you can wear the precisely calibrated belt for however your girth (or the trouser fabric thickness) requires. That way you will never have an errant crease:icon_smile_wink:
Yes - I might buy the same custom belt in 2 different sizes.

Then I can wear which ever one fits me that day.

One problem is that a lot of times the third hole fits in the morning before I go to work but then after I get to work I need to tighten the belt to the fourth hole (I guess after initial settling and stretching of the clothes and belt). A better fit might be a new strap with a new hole that measures between the distance of the third and fourth holes.

In a previous post to this thread, Cary Grant mentioned that he has a Tumi belt and the strap hasn't shown much wear. If this is the case then what characteristics of leather belt straps will make the strap less susceptible to creasing (or showing creasing).

Blueboy1938

Advanced Member
United States
California
West Hollywood
Horrors!

Yes - I might buy the same custom belt in 2 different sizes.

Then I can wear which ever one fits me that day.

One problem is that a lot of times the third hole fits in the morning before I go to work but then after I get to work I need to tighten the belt to the fourth hole (I guess after initial settling and stretching of the clothes and belt). A better fit might be a new strap with a new hole that measures between the distance of the third and fourth holes.

In a previous post to this thread, Cary Grant mentioned that he has a Tumi belt and the strap hasn't shown much wear. If this is the case then what characteristics of leather belt straps will make the strap less susceptible to creasing (or showing creasing).
You're taking me seriously! I didn't really mean for you to follow that advice. It was tongue in cheek, actually.

Now, as for dealing with your problem seriously. I find that to be somewhat of an issue, but I choose to ignore it. There is very little likelihood that anyone but you will notice, really, as has been said above. If, however, it bothers you all that much, you might try looking for the style of buckle that runs the end of the belt underneath, with a knob to insert in the holes. That is not going to make a crease. They're called "sliders," and here's a sterling silver one by Tiffany that has a nice retro look:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?assortmentid=101&originurl=/shopping/CategoryBrowse.aspx?cid=288185&cookietest=1&mcat=148208&sku=10102936&search_param=s+5-p+2-c+288185-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Pleasant McIvor

United States
NC
Hillsborough
Last edited:
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts