How to unpress a tie?

Mongo

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
AB
Calgary
My now ex dry-cleaner managed to take a perfectly good Brooks Brothers tie and press it so hard it has knife edge creases and is as thin as a piece of paper.

Okay, the "paper thin" is hyperbole, but you get the idea.

Is there any way to recover the tie?

Woofa

United States
Texas
Fort Worth
Love to hear a great answer as I have one similar. Unfortunately I have the impression that short of sending it in for a recraft this is a list cause.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Use a steamer or a steam iron held up to the tie, but never touching.

Mongo: My parents lived in Calgary BA (Before Andy) while dad did oil exploration.
Woofa: How about just a good answer! ;)

Mongo

Canada
AB
Calgary
Thanks guys; I'll try the steamer first. The dowel approach sounds like it's worth a shot if the steamer doesn't fully fix the tie.

And hello from chilly Calgary to Andy in Palm Desert. Calgary's a nice city, but we're getting a little sick of winter here. Current temperature is 26 degrees with light snow (warmer than the past few weeks).

Mathematicus

Coventry, UK
UK
West Midlands
Coventry
Another tip: lay the tie face down on a flat surface, possibly without folding it and place a hair-dryer at the blade blowing air inside the tie, towards the tail. You will see that the tie will like "inflate" and this might help to soften the sharp crease.

Make sure you use the low temperature setting, though.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I think some of the ideas above are good and worth a try. What’s the worst that could happen?

I do know this: at the molecular level, silk is composed of protein strands. As such, the strands need to be denatured either chemically or with heat in order to change shape.

The cleaners pressed the tie with a level of heat enough to denature it. It will take the same level of heat, including some type of mechanical agitation to restore it to its previous state. I’m not entirely sure this is possible, but again, worth a try. Good luck.

Kyle76

United States
NC
Fayetteville
I like a combination of the ideas above. If you could somehow feed some steam into the hair dryer, it just might do the trick.

drlivingston

Connoisseur
United States
of
America
With all due respect, the damage to that tie is almost irreversible. You may get some body back into the blades. But, it will never regain it's beautiful rolled edges. At least it wasn't a Brioni or Kiton.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
^

Nay. It's reversible. Take it apart, just the front. Unfold it. Iron it flat from the inside. Fold it back together. The original roll reappears. Then sew it back up. (While it's undone, narrow or widen it, if you choose). Don't sew? Start. A tie's a good (and easy) place to throw down your marker.