How to unpress a tie?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Mongo, Feb 19, 2019.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    You speak the truth. However, you are old school. Trust me, I say that with the utmost respect. Frankly, I am jealous of the things that you can do. I have seen your work with shoes and other items. What you describe with this tie is not simple for someone who is not accustomed to deconstruction/reconstruction. Sometimes, it's easiest to cut your losses, learn from your mistake, and purchase another tie.

zzdocxx likes this.
  2. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Honors Member

United States
    Maine
    Mars Hill
    Okay. That's reasonable. I did that with Hillary. I'm into Bernie now.

zzdocxx and drlivingston like this.
  3. Searching_Best_Fit

Searching_Best_Fit Senior Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    There is another point that is overlooked, and that is the interlining of the tie. When the tie is pressed hard, the interlining is pressed flat and loses it looseness. That results in thinness of the tie.

While @Peak and Pine's method will resolve the edge issue, the looseness of the interlining cannot be restored.

A new interlining may be required, but that is moving towards to rebuilding the tie so consider whether you want to make this as a DIY project.

4. Nnnnick78

Nnnnick78 Starting Member

Russian Federation
    Moscow
    Moscow
    I tried one trick and it worked in my case. I inserted a wooden stick about 1 cm in diameter inside the tie and used as ironing board for the edge of the tie (it is only useful for the sides of the tie not the edges at the sharp tip of the blade). If this will not work the only way as Peak and Pine said is to recraft the tie yourself (it is really easy and fascinating) or send it for recrafting service.

cosmotoast and zzdocxx like this.
  5. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior Member

Thailand
    Chiang Mai
    Chiang Mai
    Lots of good posts.
    In the end if the tie is inexpensive play with some of the above suggestions and you will see some improvement but not a new tie.

If the tie is a luxury tie, or was given to you by someone special you will need to take the tie apart and possibly replace the interlining and then gently flatten the silk and remake the tie.

Expensive and time consuming...

cosmotoast likes this.
  6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    .....or, send it to tie crafters in NYC.

zzdocxx likes this.
  7. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior Member

Thailand
    Chiang Mai
    Chiang Mai
    SG67, your post is very interesting...

Peak and Pine,

Yes and no - your idea is correct, but it is a short cut - you need to completely take the tie apart before you iron out the wrinkle - at least you need to do to do a beautiful job...

8. Nnnnick78

Nnnnick78 Starting Member

Russian Federation
    Moscow
    Moscow