Fashionslave

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Doctor Damage

This is the current (12th) Duke of Northumberland wearing a ratty old polo coat in the field. Note torn right shoulder, and distended button holes. Note wet and smelly retreivers.

Hate to tell you this,but -That's the original coat he inherited from the original duke.I think it's looking pretty darn good for an 80 year old coat,don't you??;)

Tom Buchanan

United States
Maryland
The City
quote:Originally posted by Doctor Damage

Here's what appears to be a belted polo on Walter Camp, 1920, who codified the rules of football.

Polo coat accessorized with rubber overshoes and team watch cap. Vince Lombardi, early 1960s.

Now we are talking role models. "Saint Walter" basically developed American football. In fact, he was so Trad in his thinking that he resisted the forward pass. If the coat is good enough for Walter Camp, it is good enough for every man.

Roger

Canada
British Columbia
Vancouver
Doctor, thanks for a really interesting photo essay. Can you or someone else present the defining characteristics of the Polo Coat, and how it differs from other styles of overcoats.

Vancouver

Fogey

Advanced Member
quote:Hate to tell you this,but -That's the original coat he inherited from the original duke.I think it's looking pretty darn good for an 80 year old coat,don't you??;)
If by 'original duke' you are referring to the most recent 1st Duke of Northumberland (3rd Creation), then it would be at least 220 years old.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Belted polo coats on the NY Giants baseball team in October 1924. Can anyone guess the location where the photo was taken?

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Polo players weren't the only ones to throw on a polo coat to keep warm. Here's some nice old photos of various tennis players wrapped up. The first two are April 1933 and show British tennis players getting ready to travel to the US for a tournament.

This image is from June 1913. The fellow on the right has the most luxurious polo coat I've ever seen photographed.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts