eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
A great pic for sure, but it appears that the coat is wearing the man in that one. The gentleman could make better sartorial choices. However, he does look warm and cozy! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
A great pic for sure, but it appears that the coat is wearing the man in that one. The gentleman could make better sartorial choices. However, he does look warm and cozy! ;)
Good call.

While it was more of a style to have a very large coat in the '20s/'30s, I agree, that coat owns him. He appears to be on the short side and the coat looks too big in width for him, which only accentuates his shortness.

Properly sized and tailored, that's a heck of a coat though.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
While it was more of a style to have a very large coat in the '20s/'30s...
Perhaps the biggest failing of the online style crowd is a lack of historical awareness. I'm not picking on Eagle, of course, I'm just making a general statement that's mostly true most of the time with most people. Clothing styles but especially proportions really have change a helluva lot over the decades.

WA

Honors Member
United States
WA
Bellingham
Believe my grandad spoke of coats like that. Like ruffled shirts. Ideas come and go.
In a colder climate and people being outside in the weather I think the idea of that coat was for warmth that probably didn't work out so well. The way it fits it was probably custom made and how to fit in all the extra cloth the way it is would take a cutters skill. I don't believe it was made for a larger (overweight) person at all.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Believe my grandad spoke of coats like that. Like ruffled shirts. Ideas come and go.
In a colder climate and people being outside in the weather I think the idea of that coat was for warmth that probably didn't work out so well. The way it fits it was probably custom made and how to fit in all the extra cloth the way it is would take a cutters skill. I don't believe it was made for a larger (overweight) person at all.
One of the warmest things I have is an old Harry Rosen heavyweight cotton house coat (as we call them) or dressing gown or whatever. It's quite thick and roomy and has a belt and extra-long sleeves and long skirts. It's too warm to wear in the house frankly, but outside it's surprisingly warm and I remember wearing it while helping to push someone who had slid their car off the road. Seeing that fuzzy polo coat posted by Fading Fast reminded me.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
John Dall wears a pretty classic and well-tailored Polo coat in 1950's "The Man Who Cheated Himself."

These are the best pics I could find of it.

the-man-who-cheated-himself-1950-07.jpg
images-31.jpeg
17555_4.jpg

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I watched again the Prohibition documentary by Ken Burns and thought it would be worth it to post a few examples from that time.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts