stylestudent

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Ann Arbor
For those of us looking for an authentic camel hair polo coat as described by Manton (including the envelope patch pockets, the buttoned half-belt in back, and the cuffed sleeve), try H Herzfeld on 57th Street between Park and Lex. $1,695 made in Canada. Have two in stock in larger sizes (42 and 44) but will make one up in your size at no additional charge. Happened to be looking for this item too.

Regards,

Steven

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I see that Orvis is offering a nice polo coat, now on sale. Unfortunately, it only comes in "letter" sizes, but if you match the statistical average then this could be a great deal.

It looks the part...

DD

upr_crust

Connoisseur
United States
New York
New York
As shown below, BB does (or at least did) . . .

. . sell a polo coat in the traditional style (patch pockets and half-belted, in a below-the-knee length - I'm 5' 10", for reference, and the coat is a 44 regular). I believe that they sold this style this year as well, in camel's hair, as well as a single-breasted version.

Orgetorix

Honors Member
United States
Kentucky
Louisville
I picked up one of the J Press DB polo coats, NWT, on Ebay a few weeks ago for about $20. It's great--traditional in every respect, and very warm. The seller didn't include shots of the interior labels, so I didn't know what I had bought until it arrived. It is cut to button all three, though the interior button is at the middle row.

Angrik

I'm not exactly sure how to post a photo, so I'll attach a link from Fedora Lounge of a photo of the late actor Nigel Bruce in a camel hair polo coat. It's a pretty elegant looking coat. It would look even better in a cream color.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11822&page=3

Scroll down to #34.

There's also a photo of Tom Hanks wearing a polo coat as "Mike Sullivan" in "Road to Perdition." #31

And others polo coats as well.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Angrik said:
There's also a photo of Tom Hanks wearing a polo coat as "Mike Sullivan" in "Road to Perdition." #31

And others polo coats as well.
Nice photo of Nigel Bruce. Looks like older polo coats were intended to roll the upper buttons.

If you post on Fedora Lounge, for heaven's sake please inform them of the difference between a "polo coat" and a "trenchcoat". For that matter, please explain that the word trenchcoat does NOT include any outerwear that reaches to or below the knees...

DD

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Finally located some photos of polo coats being worn as they started, i.e. as warm wear for polo players in between chukkas. Both photos are from 1939, the first is of Tommy Hitchcock Jr. (note towel worn as scarf) and the second is an undentified polo player.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Bump for the inevitable polo coat questions (whenever the weather actually cools down).

DocD