Captain America

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
IL
Ottawa
I'm wondering. There's something fussy about chronographs, and of course, pretty businesslike or tool like.

Does this work for the trad or preppy look? Of course, the Paul Newman wearing a Daytona might be cited, but I'm not so sure even about that one. . .

bulova.jpg

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
The intent of this sort of question is ambiguous. Do you own the watch and what to wear it with a trad or preppy look? In which case, sure it works with a trad or preppy look.

Is it by itself particularly trad or preppy, so that if you are looking to buy such a watch, you would get this one? Not to my old eyes.

Virtue Aesthetics

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Oh no...another “is this dog trad” thread. we were mercifully free of these for quite a while.
Why would you have a problem with it? The question invites discussion on what it means to be trad, in this case specifically as regards wristwatches.
And then you consider that we are averaging 3 posts a day here...

Anyway this watch is not trad

David J. Cooper

Canada
BC
Vancouver
I would say yes, if you are using the watch for it’s purpose. I think a Trad watch would be one that gives you the information you need and nothing else.

Virtue Aesthetics

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I would say yes, if you are using the watch for it’s purpose. I think a Trad watch would be one that gives you the information you need and nothing else.
I think you are missing the aesthetic component to trad. While trad is often utilitarian and can be minimalist, this is not all that there is to trad

Color 8

United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
As a matter of personal preference, I'm not crazy about the enormous watches that are in fashion right now.

IMO they are non-trad on the basis of their size alone.