never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Wow, what a great place. It was overwhelming - there was so much stuff just on the main floor. Ethan and the crew were great in helping me try on a large list of items. I happened to be in Erie, PA and the 4 hour round trip drive was totally worth it.

I’ve been pondering buying another suit. I’d love to hear thoughts on the fit. It seems to fit well off the rack with the normal adjustments. I wasn’t sure if the shoulders were boxy or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Wow, what a great place. It was overwhelming - there was so much stuff just on the main floor. Ethan and the crew were great in helping me try on a large list of items. I happened to be in Erie, PA and the 4 hour round trip drive was totally worth it.

I’ve been pondering buying another suit. I’d love to hear thoughts on the fit. It seems to fit well off the rack with the normal adjustments. I wasn’t sure if the shoulders were boxy or not.

Thanks for the great pictures. O'Connell's is my kind of place!

Did the staff help you find your size? If so, I say, buy it! These folks know their business. And also get whatever alterations they recommend.

The critical area of fit is the shoulders, and these look good. This is a relaxed, traditional cut and fit, and I know some are unused to it, but I love it! Normal lapels, normal gorge height, normal button stance. So nice as to make me cry. Get it if you like it. This is a suit you can wear until you wear it out, and it's cut and steel blue color will be extremely versatile.

Last edited:

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
That's outstanding to see real live pictures. Especially being from Omaha.
I have purchased a few items over the years.
Would you mind picking me up a pair of Quoddy Canoe Mocs in 11D - Brown Chromexcel . Ha.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Wow, that is more stock than I have seen in a long time. I'm very impressed with the look of this shop.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
@Flanderian I was The only one in the store while I was there, so I had a lot of attention. I wish I had taken pictures of all the tweed I tried on, as I know how much you enjoy tweed. They were wonderful jackets; I’m going to have to buy at least one come fall!

@Peak and Pine When I walked into the back of the store (where I took the picture), the first comment they made to me was, “there’s a method to the madness.” It was impressive - they knew exactly where everything was located. “Can I try in a pair of cav twills?” They grab a ladder and boom, 3 pairs to try on.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
That's awesome - thank you for taking the time to post about your experience and to show some pics.

I'm just old enough (54) to remember places like that from the '80s when I started buying real adult clothing - many towns still had that style of men's clothing store. Even the old J.Press store in NYC (the one on 44th, not the later one that was on Madison) felt a lot like that as did Gorsarts (a quieter, discount competitor to BB and Press).

While Brooks Brothers was always a bit more manicured, back in the '80s, it had tables piled high with merchandise and plenty of shelves and cubbies also pretty stuffed.

That, to me, is what a real men's store should look and feel (and smell - a mixture of clothing fibers, dust and authenticity) like.

Love the suit you got - great shade of blue - enjoy and thank you again.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I don't believe there is any other men's store from which I have purchased as many garments online, as I have from O'Connell's. "Ethan and the crew" (I think they are brothers) really do know their 'stuff' and have seamlessly guided me through my purchases as to size required, color, pattern and textural compatibility, etc....and it is but a single order that has had to be returned for a different size. But alas, I have yet to set foot in the store, that being a sartorial adventure reserved for some point in my future. Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!

peterc

United States
california
san francisco
Another nice thread here and WHAT wonderful photos. Echoing what Fading said, I too remember Brooks on Madison when it had tables filled with clothes. I had never seen a men's store with everything laid out like that before. Glad I was able to experience that.

To the OP: The suit looks excellent on you.